No Instant Pot? Try my easy chicken tortilla soup recipe!
What are your thoughts on instant pot recipes?
I’ve been using mine more often this fall and winter and I’m finally starting to understand the appeal. Now that I’ve posted two IP recipes in a row, what do you think? Do you love your pressure cooker, or should I go back to sharing more traditional stovetop recipes?
I’m a huge fan of chicken tortilla soup. I have a few go-to recipes already, but I wanted to try my hand at a new version based on one from my favorite Mexican restaurant. It’s thick and rich – almost like a white chili – with less tomato than traditional tortilla soup usually has. It also has rice in it, which makes it super hearty. This recipe comes together in just about 30 minutes and everything is made in one pot – right down to the crispy tortilla strip garnish.
How to make Instant Pot Tortilla Soup
One of the things that I love most about using an instant pot instead of a slow cooker is that the saute function lets me fry or brown ingredients without taking out a second pot.
For this tortilla soup, I start by frying tortilla strips in two tablespoons of olive oil. It only takes a few minutes, and the deep sides of the pot also help keep splatters to a minimum. When the tortilla strips are golden and crispy, transfer them to a paper towel to drain and sprinkle them generously with coarse salt. You can also use air fryer tortilla chips for this if you don’t feel like frying them in oil.
Saute onion, garlic, red bell pepper, and jalapenos in the leftover oil until they begin to soften. Then add chicken thighs or breasts, chicken broth, black beans, diced tomatoes (I love using fire-roasted), chili powder, and rice. I also throw a few corn tortillas into the pot. They break down as the soup cooks and help it thicken.
Once the soup is cooked, all you need to do is shred the chicken and add some garnishes. You can keep it simple, or go wild! I like my soup topped with tortilla strips, shredded cheese, and cilantro. You can also add sliced avocado or sour cream if you like.
This soup is great left over, too. It will thicken up in the refrigerator but will thin back out as it heats up. If you’re planning to have leftovers, keep the tortilla strips separate and store them at room temperature an airtight container. They’ll stay crispy for several days.
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 corn tortillas cut into thin strips
- 1 onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers minced
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- 4 cups chicken stock
- ½ cup uncooked white rice
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) black beans, drained
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) fire roasted diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 limes juiced
- For garnish optional: shredded Monterrey jack cheese, cilantro, sour cream, avocado
- Heat the oil using the saute function of your instant pot. When the oil is hot, add half of the tortilla strips. Cook 4-5 minutes, or until golden brown. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the tortillas to a paper towel. Sprinkle generously with coarse salt.
- Add the onions and garlic to the pot and saute 2-3 minutes, or until softened. Add the peppers and cook another 3-4 minutes. Add the chicken, uncooked tortilla strips, stock, rice, beans, tomatoes, chili powder, and oregano. Lock on the lid, making sure the vent is set to sealing, and cook on high pressure for 12 minutes.
- Carefully remove the lid. Shred the chicken. Stir in the lime juice and season to taste with salt.
- To serve top the soup with the crispy tortilla strips and any other garnishes that you desire.