These air fryer tortilla chips are super easy to make and have all the crunchy goodness of store-bought chips without the fat or calories.
Fresh lime juice gives these homemade chips a flavor boost. You’ll love them for dipping in salsa or guacamole or eating on their own as a snack. Go ahead and eat a few (or more!) — your taste buds will thank you for this delicious treat!
Whether you’re looking for a healthier alternative to store-bought chips or want to make your own to control sodium levels, these air fryer tortilla chips are perfect for any occasion.
These simple and delicious homemade tortilla chips can be made in less than 10 minutes and are sure to become your new favorite snack.
The best part about them is that they have loads of flavor options! You can use almost anything from taco seasoning mix, garlic powder, chili powder, or even homemade Ranch seasoning to make the homemade tortilla chips of your dreams.
Ingredients for Air Fryer Tortilla Chips
To make delicious tortilla chips in an air fryer, all you really need are tortillas. But a few other additions turn these into chips that will rival any restaurant you’ve been to — and you won’t want to eat store-bought chips again.
- Tortillas. For the best flavor, I like to use white corn tortillas to make these chips. Yellow corn tortillas are also great. Steer clear of flour tortillas, which have a different flavor and, in my opinion, don’t lend themselves to tasty chips. If you have access to fresh tortillas, your chips will really be next-level!
- Lime Juice. A splash of fresh lime juice takes these chips over the top. You’re guests will wonder what is it that makes them so special!
- Coarse salt. Using coarse salt helps give these air fried tortilla chips that classic salty flavor and texture you know and love. I love using sea salt, but flaky kosher salt also works well here.
- Oil. You don’t have to coat the chips with oil, but a light coating does help make them crispier and gives them a great golden brown color and toasty edges. Spray oil makes it easy to get a light, even coating of oil on each chip. You can also use a silicone basting brush to lightly coat each tortilla with olive oil.
Tips for making the best air fried tortilla chips
Air fryer temperature and time settings will vary based on the brand/model. You may need to consult the product manual if you find your air fryer does not have the same settings required in the recipe.
Some air fryers require preheating and some do not. If you’re not sure, check your manual! This recipe was cooked using an air fryer that requires preheating.
Try not to overlap your chips in the air fryer. If they are too cramped and overlap, they will cook unevenly.
More Seasoning Ideas
I love keeping these chips simple, with just a little lime juice and salt. But the options are limitless!
If you really want to ramp up the flavor of your chips, try:
- Tajin (chili-lime seasoning)
- Taco seasoning
- Trader Joe’s Everything But the Elote Seasoning
- Homemade Ranch seasoning: Equal amounts of dry parsley, dill, chives, onion powder, and garlic powder
- Homemade doritos seasoning: Equal amounts of garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, chili powder, and paprika
- Cajun seasoning
- Cinnamon and sugar (omit the lime juice and salt)
How to store homemade tortilla chips
Let the chips cool completely; they’ll continue to crisp as they cool. Then store them in an airtight container (a ziplock bag works well!) Your chips will stay crisp for 5-7 days.
Delicious Dips for your Tortilla Chips
These chips are great on their own, but most people will probably want something to dip them into. Store-bought salsa is great, but here are some delicious homemade dips to try:
- Fresh Cantalope Salsa
- Pineapple Salsa
- Crab and Blackberry Guacamole
- Keto Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Spicy Bacon and Scallion Dip
- 10 gluten-free white corn tortillas
- 2-3 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Cooking spray or olive oil
- Flaky Sea Salt
- Preheat your air fryer to 375°F.
- Stack 5 tortillas, Use a sharp knife of a pizza cutter to cut into quarters. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Spread the tortilla wedges on a flat surface. Use a silicone basting brush to brush each chip with lime juice, then spray with cooking spray. Flip the chips over and repeat on the other side. Sprinkle with salt.
- Place the tortilla chips in the air fryer in a single layer. For best results, you will need to work in batches.
- Cook chips for 2 minutes and then flip and cook for another 2 minutes 30 seconds or until crisp and golden. Note that the cooking time can vary slightly depending on the model of air fryer you have, as well as on the thickness of the tortillas you started with.
- Remove the chips from the air fryer and repeat until all chips are cooked.