This gorgeous farmhouse salad highlights the best produce of the season: asparagus, peas, and radishes. Grilled chicken and chickpeas add plenty of filling protein and soy nuts add gluten-free crunch. Topped off with a bright citrus vinaigrette, this salad is the perfect way to celebrate Spring!
We had the most ridiculously beautiful stretch of 90-degree weather over the weekend. I loved every second of it! We spend tons of time outside, had a date night at our favorite hot dog joint, and finally bought a new set of patio furniture. (Amazon is the best! We found a great set that was totally affordable, with free two day shipping right to our front porch. All we had to do was take it out of the box.)
This weather definitely inspires me to eat better (at least when it’s not inspiring me to eat hot dogs), and I spent the weekend cooking up salads and developing new recipes for blueberry crumble and a delicious, spicy pasta dish that reminds me of Alfredo but without the cream.
I’ll share those recipes soon, but I wanted to share this gorgeous farmhouse salad first. I shared it over on Cupcakes and Kale Chips last month but since it’s one of my favorites, I wanted to be sure to share it here, too. It’s a hearty salad, topped with chicken, chicken, and cheddar cheese; asparagus, peas, and radishes make it perfect for this time of year. The citrus vinaigrette is bright and summery and adds a refreshing tanginess to every bite!
Farmhouse Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette
- 1 pound boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon Greek seasoning
- 8 cups baby kale salad mix, or your favorite salad greens, chopped
- 1/2 bunch asparagus, cut into 2-inch segments
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen green peas, defrosted
- 8 radishes, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup unsalted soy nuts
For the vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 orange, juiced
- 1 lime, juiced
- Sprinkle the chicken with Greek seasoning. Spray a large high-sided skillet with olive oil spray and heat over a medium high flame. Add the chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer the chicken to a plate and let cool. Cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Wipe the skillet clean and fill with water. Return to the stove and bring to a boil. Meanwhile, fill a mixing bowl with ice water. Add the asparagus to the boiling water and cook for 1 minute, or until it turns bright green. Drain and place it immediately into the ice water to stop the cooking process.
- Arrange the salad greens on a serving platter. Top with the chicken, asparagus, chickpeas, green peas, radishes, cheese, and soy nuts.
- Add the olive oil, vinegar, orange and lime juices, and shallot to a small jar. Cover and shake to combine. Season with sea salt and black pepper to taste. Drizzle half of the dressing over the salad. Serve with additional dressing, to taste.
I am not a certified nutritionist. Nutrition information calculated using myfitnesspal is provided as a courtesy, but will vary depending on the specific brands of ingredients you use. Information provided on this site is not a substitute for professional advice by certified health professionals; please consult with your doctor regarding specific health needs.