There’s a new hot breakfast in town – creamy sweet potato breakfast bowls topped with caramelized pears, fresh berries, and nut butter. Give this cozy breakfast a try this fall!
This post was sponsored by my client Side Delights® Steamables. Thank you for supporting the brands that keep me inspired in the kitchen.
This might be the most hipster recipe I’ve ever made, and I’m not mad about it. In fact, I’m pretty obsessed with sweet potatoes for breakfast.
It makes sense, considering I love food served in bowls (see: Shrimp Taco Bowls with Pineapple Salsa, Winter Vegetable Quinoa Bowls with Brown Butter and Greek Chicken Rice Bowls.) I was a goner the second I ate my first spoon full and melted into a puddle of cozy bliss.
I mean, is there anything more comforting than a warm bowl of creamy potatoes? It might not be traditional, but it’s a lovely grain-free alternative to oatmeal or cream of wheat. Plus it’s ready in just about 10 minutes!
How to make sweet potato breakfast bowls
To make these sweet potato breakfast bowls, start with a bag of Steamables petite sweet potatoes (yup – the same potatoes I used in this chimichurri potato salad earlier this year.) They cook up perfectly tender in 8 minutes, plus they’re triple washed so you don’t have to worry about scrubbing them. That’s especially important since I throw the whole potatoes – skin and all – into the blender along with 1/2 cup of coconut milk and a teaspoon of vanilla to make this puree. The puree itself is creamy and sweet, without any added sugar.
These bowls are really versatile and you can top them with whatever you want – from crunchy granola to a river of coconut milk to a scoop of cranberry sauce. I embraced early fall and topped them with thinly sliced pears that I caramelized in butter and a pinch of brown sugar for about 5 minutes, until they softened just a touch. I also added some blueberries – their tartness balances out the sweetness of the potatoes and pears – and a spoon full of nut butter for a little extra protein. A sprinkle of cinnamon ties everything together and echoes the fall flavors that you’ll enjoy in every bite.
Be sure to check out these other great recipes using Side Delights Steamables!
- Souffle Bombay – https://soufflebombay.com/2017/10/potato-fajita-bowl.html
- Allergylicious – https://allergylicious.com/savory-potato-breakfast-bowl/
- Vegetarian Momma – https://vegetarianmamma.com/southwest-potato-bowl/
- BitzNGiggles – https://bitzngiggles.com/twice-baked-potato-bowl/
- Half Her Size – https://www.halfhersize.com/chicken-bacon-potato-bowl/
10-Minute Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowls with Brown Sugar PearsPrint Pin SaveSaved!
- 1 bag Side Delights® Steamables Petite Sweet Potatoes
- 2 pears
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- ½ cup full fat coconut milk from a can
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup blueberries
- 4 teaspoons cashew or almond butter
- Microwave the bag of Steamables potatoes, seam-side down, for 8 minutes. Let cool 1 minute.
- While the potatoes cook, thinly slice the pears and discard the core. Melt the butter in a sauté pan set over medium heat. Add the pears and cook 4-5 minutes, or until they begin to soften. Stir in the brown sugar and cook until melted and syrupy.
- Remove the cooked sweet potatoes from the bag and cut them into quarters. Transfer them to a food processor or blender. Add the coconut milk and vanilla; blend until smooth and creamy.
- Divide the sweet potatoes between four bowls. Top with the cooked pears, blueberries, and cashew butter. Sprinkle with cinnamon, to taste.
- Serve warm.