Is spinach and artichoke dip still a thing? I feel like it was all the rage when I was in college (*cough* ten years ago *cough*) but it’s since taken a back seat to other, less indulgent dips… like hummus. Please tell me that I’ve just been living under a healthy-eating rock for the last few years and spinach and artichoke dip is still around? If not, let’s make a vow to bring it back. In the form of grilled cheese.
As you may know, April is National Grilled Cheese Month. Land O’Lakes and Kitchen PLAY joined together to celebrate with an event they’re calling “30 Days of Grilled Cheese.” And the asked me to play along! Yay!
It took me forever to figure out what I wanted to make for the event. Obviously, I wanted something unique. I also wanted something super gooey and cheesy. And –making things even more difficult – I wanted to healthy it up by incorporating a good amount of fruit or vegetables. Tall order, right? I was stumped for days when all of a sudden I was sitting at my desk at work and it dawned on me: Spinach and Artichoke Grilled Cheese. On garlic toast.
I was so excited about the idea that I texted it to Shawn right away.
Man, oh man, this grilled cheese is GOOD. It’s super cheesy and rich, with buttery-delicious artichoke hearts scattered throughout it. And the addition of garlic to the bread? Kind of genius, if I do say so myself. I also used Land O’Lakes 4 Cheese Italian Blend, which combines their classic deli American with the bite of Asiago, Parmesan, and Romano.This grilled cheese has tons of over-the-top flavor in every bite.
On a semi-related note, Land O’Lakes has a great Pinterest campaign going on throughout April and May: they’ll donate $1 to Feeding America ever time someone pins or repins one of their recipes on Pinterest. That’s the equivalent of 8 meals for every pin. Pretty awesome! (Please Note: Pinning this recipe doesn’t count. Go to their site, LandOLakes.com, and pin something from there. While you’re at it, be sure to follow them on Pinterest. They’re constantly pinning really great stuff!)
So what are you waiting for? Get pinning! Then make this Spinach and Artichoke Grilled Cheese – all that pinning is sure to work up an appetite!
- 2 cups loosely packed baby spinach
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup quartered artichoke hearts
- ⅓ pound Land O’Lakes 4 Cheese Italian Blend
- 4 slices Italian sandwich bread
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- garlic powder
- Add spinach and water to a skillet set over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the spinach is completely wilted. Drain excess water. Add the artichoke hearts, using a fork to break them up a little bit. Stir in a slice or two of cheese – just enough to melt into the vegetables and help bind them together.
- Butter 4 slices of bread and sprinkle them with garlic powder. Flip two slices of bread over (so the non-buttered side is up) and top each with a few slices of cheese and half of the spinach and artichoke mixture. Cover with remaining cheese and top with a second piece of bread (buttered side up).
- Cook sandwiches over low heat for 3 minutes on each side, or until bread is golden brown and cheese is melted.
All nutrition information is approximate and will vary base on ingredients and brands used.
Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Land O’Lakes as part of the Kitchen PLAY Sidecar series. All opinions given are my own.