This easy Instant Pot chicken recipe is inspired by one of my favorite take-out meals: Thai basil chicken! You’ll love the vibrant, fresh flavor and the snap of the green beans. Making this take-out favorite at home means you can adjust the spice level to your family’s preferences.
I love cooking, but I’m also a huge fan of taking a night off and ordering takeout. We order dinner from our favorite Thai restaurant at least once a month. I always get the same thing: gra prow chicken with medium heat.
Instead of using sliced chicken breast, they make theirs with ground chicken. I love the way the ground chicken soaks up the spicy sauce so you get tons of flavor in each bite.
They also add lightly stir-fried green beans to their recipe, which really takes it to the next level. They add great flavor and texture to the dish and help balance out the heat.
When I was coming up with recipes to include in my Clean Eating Instant Pot Cookbook, I knew I wanted to include my own take on this great recipe. While mine isn’t exactly the same as theirs — and definitely isn’t authentic Thai cuisine — it has quickly become a favorite of ours.
It comes together quickly, is full of flavor, and is made with simple, affordable ingredients.
To make this Instant Pot Basil Chicken, you’ll need:
- Ground Chicken. I use 93% lean chicken. This has some dark meat mixed in for a more robust flavor and extra moisture.
- Shallot. Shallots have a sweeter and milder flavor than onions and go really well in this recipe.
- Gluten-Free Fish Sauce. Fish sauce is a must! It gives this basil chicken it’s signature umami flavor.
- Coconut Aminos or Tamari. Coconut aminos or tamari keep this recipe gluten-free. If that isn’t a concern for you, you can use low sodium soy sauce.
- Chili Pepper Paste. As written, this recipe is pretty mild so go ahead and add more if you like things spicy!
- Red Bell Pepper.
- Fresh Green Beans.
- Fresh Basil.
Serving Suggestion: Enjoy this recipe on its own or, for a more substantial meal, serve it with a side of cauliflower rice or brown rice.
How to make Instant Pot basil chicken
Start by using the saute function to brown your chicken. Make sure you stir it around a little so it breaks up.
Add the shallot, bell pepper, soy sauce, fish sauce, and chili-garlic sauce. Give it a stir, then lock the lid in place and cook under high pressure for 2 minutes. This will cook the vegetables and infuse the flavor of the sauce into the chicken.
Next, add the green beans and return the lid to the pot. Let it sit for 5 minutes, until the beans are steamed to your liking.
Finally, stir in the basil and serve!
Pro Tip: I really hate mushy green beans, so I add them at the end instead of cooking them along with the other ingredients. The residual heat from the pot will steam the beans perfectly, so they’ll still have a little snap to them.
Substitutions and Variations
Switch up the meat. Tired of chicken? This recipe is also delicious when made with ground pork, beef, or tofu! You can also use frozen shrimp — just skip the browning step.
No shallot? No problem. Use 1/4 cup of thinly sliced red onion instead.
Try frozen green beans instead of fresh. Just keep in mind that they won’t have the same texture. You could also swap the green beans for frozen broccoli.
Swap the peppers. If you have orange or yellow peppers in your fridge, go ahead and use those instead of the red pepper. You can also use green bell pepper, but it will have a sharper, less sweet flavor.
Make it on the stovetop. If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can make this recipe on the stove. After your brown the chicken, stir in the shallots, pepper, and seasonings and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft. Add the green beans and basil and cover. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 5-6 minutes, or until the green beans are cooked through.
For a more authentic flavor, use Thai basil which has a stronger, licorice-like flavor.
More take-out inspired recipes to make at home
- Instant Pot Chicken Carnitas
- Air Fryer Empanadas
- Cauliflower Fried Rice
- Baked Chicken Tenders
- Citrusy Shrimp Ceviche
Instant Pot Basil Chicken with Green Beans
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 ½ pounds ground chicken
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and sliced
- 1 shallot finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-natural chile pepper paste
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon coconut aminos or tamari
- 1 Tablespoon gluten-free fish sauce
- ½ pound fresh green beans
- 1 cup whole fresh basil leaves
- Select Saute on the Instant Pot and pour in the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the chicken and cook for 2 to 3 minutes to brown, stirring occasionally to break up the meat. Press Cancel.
- Add the bell pepper, shallot, chile pepper paste, water, coconut aminos, and fish sauce. Stir to combine. Lock the lid in place.
- Select Manual or Pressure Cook and set the timer to High Pressure for 2 minutes.
- When the cook time is complete, quick release the pressure.
- Carefully remove the lid and add the green beans. Select Keep Warm, return the lid to the pot, and let it sit for 5 minutes until the green beans are steamed. Remove the lid and stir in the basil before serving.