All the flavor of chicken cordon bleu in a giant salad! The chicken is air fried, so it’s extra-crispy.
When I was a kid, I used to beg my mom to buy frozen chicken cordon bleu for dinner. I’d always pick it when I was allowed to choose a special dinner. When I got older, it was one of the very first meals that I made from scratch. I mostly wanted it because it was French and therefore “fancy” and that just about sums up who I’ve always been as a person.
Chicken cordon bleu is a little fussy to make, and it seems to have fallen out of style over the last few decades – but I think it’s making a comeback! I had an amazing chicken cordon bleu sandwich at a farm to table restaurant a few months ago, and I’ve seen it mentioned on menus a few times recently. It shouldn’t be surprising – the classic combination of chicken, ham, and creamy Swiss cheese is comfort food at it’s best. Plus we’re wearing “vintage” high waist jeans and scrunchies again so it only makes sense that 90s food is back in style, too.
Of course, these days I don’t really have the time or patience to painstakingly roll the chicken around the fillings or deep fry it. Plus with traditional cordon bleu there’s the matter of having to make sides at the same time.
I’d rather dump everything on top of a giant salad, drizzle some honey mustard dressing over the top, and call it a day.
How to make air fried chicken cordon blue salad
The trickiest part of this salad is making the chicken. To start, dredge boneless chicken breasts in flour, then egg, Next, coat the chicken with panko breadcrumbs and spritz it with oil to help it brown. You can add regular oil to a spray bottle for this – that way it’s one less product to buy and you know exactly what kind of oil you’re using. Arrange the chicken in your air fryer and cook for 8-10 minutes at 400F until browned and crispy.
While the chicken cooks, you can chop your produce, roll ham and Swiss into cute little pinwheels, and make the honey mustard dressing.
Can I make this without an air fryer?
I cooked the chicken for this salad in the air fryer because I love how crispy it gets that way. Plus doesn’t heat up the house the way the oven does, so it’s perfect for summer. If you don’t have an air fryer, you can definitely bake it! Arrange the chicken in a single layer on a sheet pan and bake it at 450F, turning it once, until the breading is deep brown and crispy. If you’re feeling ambitious, you can also use my baked buttermilk chicken tenders recipe.
What is honey mustard dressing made of?
Honey mustard dressing is the perfect match for this chicken cordon bleu salad. I love how the tangy mustard cuts through the rich flavors of the meat and cheese. To make it, combine Dijon mustard with honey, Greek yogurt, white wine vinegar, and olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Can’t get enough of the ham-Swiss-mustard combo? Give my cubano stuffed pork loin recipe a try!
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 slices deli ham
- 4 slices Swiss cheese, cut in half
- 12 cups lettuce
- 1 seedless cucumber, chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
1. Lightly coat the chicken with flour, then dip it into the egg. Dredge in bread crumbs to coat. Spritz with oil.
2. Air fry at 400 degrees for 12 minutes, or until cooked through. Slice into bite-sized pieces.
3. Meanwhile, make the dressing by whisking together the vinegar, yogurt, mustard, and honey until smooth. Drizzle in the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Layer together one piece of ham and one piece of cheese. Roll together, then slice into 4 pinwheels. Repeat with remaining ham and cheese.
5. Pile the lettuce onto a platter. Top with cucumber, tomatoes, onion, chicken, and ham and cheese pinwheels. Drizzle with dressing.
To cook in the oven, arrange the breaded chicken on a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake at 450, turning once, for 20 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 511Total Fat 28gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 17gCholesterol 139mgSodium 909mgCarbohydrates 27gFiber 5gSugar 13gProtein 39g