Big, juicy burgers stuffed with a melty jalapeño popper middle? Yessssss!
For this month’s Secret Recipe Club,I was paired with Erin from The Spiffy Cookie. The Spiffy Cookie is mainly a baking blog but because I’ve been sharing so many sweets lately (and have another one that I’ll be sharing later this week) that I was determined to find a savory recipe that was easy enough to make for dinner after a long day at work.
Well, I definitely found a winner! These jalapeño popper stuffed burgers are fast, easy, and delicious (And you know how much I love putting jalapeño popper flavor where it doesn’t belong… jalapeño popper mac and cheese anyone?). I’ll spare you the close up photo of the inside, but these burgers are filled with a mixture of cream cheese, cheddar, and jalapeño peppers. It was spicy, melty perfection.
Served on whole wheat buns with lettuce, red onion and a side of baked sweet potato fries, these burgers were a big hit! I think they’d be great made with turkey, too. I’m not normally a turkey burger kind of girl, but I have a feeling that these flavors would work really well.
Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Burger
- 1 large jalapeño pepper, chopped
- 1 ounce reduced fat cream cheese
- 1 ounce shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pinch cumin
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- salt and pepper
- 4 rolls
- Optional toppings: red onion, lettuce, additional cheddar
- In a small bowl, combine the jalapeño, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, garlic, and cumin. Mix well.
- Divide the beef into eight pieces; shape into patties about the same diameter as your rolls, pressing the centers very thin but leaving a 1/4-inch ridge around the edges. Divide the filling evenly between four patties, spreading it evenly to fill the center of the burger. Top with the remaining 4 patties, flipping them over so the thin center forms a pocket over the filling. Press the edges to seal.
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat until very hot. Reduce heat to medium-low. Place the burgers in the pan and cook for 5-6 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. If desired, top with additional cheddar cheese.
- Serve on rolls with lettuce and thinly sliced red onion.
Adapted from The Spiffy Cookie
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 422kcal Calories from fat 168|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 19g||29%|
|Saturated Fat 8g||40%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|