You won’t believe how quickly this spicy chipotle hummus pasta comes together! Saute the chicken and vegetables while the pasta cooks and you’ll have dinner on the table in about a half an hour.
Have you ever cooked with hummus? We eat it all the time, but almost exclusively as a snack – set me up next to a pool with a tub of hummus and some pretzels and I’m good for hours. From time to time I’ll also use it on a sandwich or in my favorite no-mayo potato salad, but other than that I haven’t really branched out in terms of using it as an ingredient in recipes.
How to make spicy hummus pasta
[adthrive-in-post-video-player video-id=”f6niCrjQ” upload-date=”2019-11-10T16:41:12.000Z” name=”Spicy Chipotle Hummus Pasta rec4″ description=”Hummus makes a creamy, dairy-free sauce for this spicy hummus pasta! “]
I created this spicy hummus pasta for National Hummus Day and I’m so excited to share it with you! I came up with the idea a few weeks ago, and it’s ridiculously good.
I thought I was taking a risk using hummus as pasta sauce, but I really had nothing to worry about. It turns out hummus adds the perfect touch of rich, creamy flavor to your pasta. This pasta recipe reminds me of a classic Cajun Alfredo – without any cream. It’s dairy-free and packed with protein!
I used Sabra’s chipotle hummus and we loved the way it came out. The chipotle peppers give the recipe a great, spicy kick! Since most of the flavor in the dish comes from the hummus, it’s infinitely adaptable. Swap the chipotle hummus for supremely spicy (another one of my favorites), jalapeno, or even take the recipe in a totally different direction with basil pesto hummus. You can also swap out the chicken for shrimp. Whatever you do, make plenty because you’ll definitely be excited for leftovers.
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 package Sabra Spicy Chipotle Hummus
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, chopped (about 6 cups)
- 1 pound penne pasta
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the paprika, oregano, thyme, and salt. Rub the spice mixture over the chicken breasts.
- In a large sauté pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook 5-8 minutes per side, or until cooked through. Remove from heat and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Turn the burner to low and return the pan to the stove. Sweat the garlic and onions for 5 minutes, or until softened. Turn the heat to medium and add the red bell pepper. Cook for another 5 minutes, or until soft. Slowly stir in the chicken stock and hummus to form a creamy sauce. Add the Swiss chard. Cover and cook until wilted, 2-3 minutes. Stir in the drained pasta and the cooked chicken.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 325Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 65mgSodium 265mgCarbohydrates 29gFiber 3gSugar 2gProtein 30g
I created this recipe for my client, Sabra. As a Sabra Tastemaker, I’ll be sharing recipes featuring hummus throughout the year. As always, thank you for supporting the brands that keep me inspired in the kitchen!