A combination of fat free yogurt and hummus make a cool, creamy dressing for this mayo free potato salad.
There’s a first time for everything:
- Eating rhubarb.
- Making steamed buns.
- Eating cool, creamy potato salad.
Yeah, you read that right. I only recently had my first bite of creamy potato salad.
My aversion to mayonnaise (sorry, I know some of you think it’s good, but I find it repulsive!) had always prevented me from enjoying this delicious salad. Until now.
What can you substitute for mayonnaise in potato salad?
I was flipping through a recent issue of Food+Wine when I saw this idea. It looked like a normal homemade potato salad, but it used hummus and yogurt.
And, most notably, no mayo.
This potato salad recipe immediately got added to my “to try” list.
So one night we decided to grill up some burgers, and I knew that it was the perfect time to try this no mayo potato salad.
I mixed it up, but I have to confess it looked so much like the potato salad dressing that I’ve been avoiding all these years that I was a little hesitant to take a bite. (Which was ridiculous since I made the stuff and I knew that there was absolutely no mayonnaise in it.)
So I took a small nibble.
And it. was. awesome.
It turns out that the combination of yogurt and hummus makes the perfect mayo substitute!
I mean, we were lucky that there was any left by the time the burgers were done – I couldn’t keep out of it!
For those of you who hate mayo, or who just love potato salads, this is a great substitute. Those of you that do eat mayo will enjoy it too – Shawn said that it actually tastes very similar. It’s cool, creamy, and slightly tangy. The hummus flavor isn’t nearly as pronounced as you might imagine it would be, and it has a whole lot less fat (about 5 grams of fat in mine, compared to over 20 grams in traditional versions.)
This has become one of those recipes that I make over and over again, and it’s something of a signature dish for me at summer cookouts. If you’re looking for a lighter alternative to potato salads that’s made with real food ingredients, go ahead and give it a try — I bet you’ll become a huge fan, too!
More mayo free potato salad recipes:
- Red Potato Salad with Chimichurri and Spring Vegetables
- Warm Fingerling Potato Salad with Spring Vegetables and Sherry Vinaigrette
- Nicoise-Style Potato Salad
- Dijon Potato Salad with Crispy Ham
- 4 Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup hummus
- 1/2 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 Tbs chopped gherkins
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Cut the potatoes into 1-inch cubes. Place in a large stockpot and cover with water. Bring to a a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer until potatoes are tender. Drain and let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes with the remaining ingredients, mixing well to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Amount Per Serving Calories 193Total Fat 5gFiber 6.5gProtein 8.5g