Unlike traditional sweet potato casseroles that are loaded with syrup and topped with marshmallows, this healthy sweet potato casserole gets its flavor from buttery cashews and smoky, spicy madras curry powder.
This healthy sweet potato casserole is a warm and comforting side dish that makes a frequent appearance on my dining room table in the colder months.
The curried cashews that top this sweet potato casserole were one of my favorite recipes from culinary school.
We made them to add to quinoa and apple salad, but I’ve been looking for ways to incorporate them into other recipes ever since.
As soon as the cooler weather began to roll in, it hit me: sweet potato casserole! The buttery, spicy nuts are an amazing contrast to silky smooth sweet potatoes.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Orange Juice. Instead of using milk or butter, I mashed the sweet potatoes with orange juice. It gives the potatoes a nice bright flavor and keeps the recipe dairy free.
Madras Curry Powder. This has a richer flavor and more spice than the traditional yellow curry powder that you might be more familiar with.
Egg. An egg mixed in to the potatoes helps them rise a little so they’re light and fluffy, but you can omit it for a vegan option.
Shredded Coconut. I like to use unsweetened coconut for additional flavor and texture.
Brown Sugar. For a hint of sweetness to balance out the spicy curry and tart orange juice. You can use either dark brown sugar or light brown sugar in this recipe.
- Try using reduced calorie orange juice for less sugar
- OJ with pulp or without — it’s your choice!
- Use a combination of sweet potatoes and roasted butternut squash to reduce carbs
- Omit the egg to make it vegan
More healthy casserole recipes
- Healthy Broccoli Casserole
- Fresh Green Bean Casserole
- Cajun Turkey Casserole
- Cheesy Baked Scalloped Potatoes
Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole
- ¾ cup halved raw cashews
- 1 teaspoon grape seed oil
- ½ teaspoon Madras curry powder
- 2 large sweet potatoes about 4 pounds total
- ½ cup orange juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large egg beaten
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Heat your oven to 325°F.
- Toss the cashews with the oil, curry powder and salt. Arrange them in a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake until lightly toasted, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into 2-inch cubes. Place them in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then simmer until fork-tender — about 15 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot. Add the orange juice and mash until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in the egg, then transfer the potatoes to a 9"x13" baking dish.
- Mix the toasted cashews with the coconut and brown sugar. Scatter them over the mashed sweet potatoes.
- Return to the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the casserole is golden brown and slightly puffed.
14 thoughts on “Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole with Curried Cashews”
I REALLY WANT TO MAKE THIS FOR THANKSGIVING 2018 BUT AM HAVING A HARD TIME FINDING THE RECIPES ONCE ON THE SHEKNOWS.COM WEBSITE. . . .PLEASE HELP.
This looks amazing! I love sweet potato casserole but I don’t like it when it’s super sweet. I’m digging the addition of curried cashews…yum!