[shareaholic app=”share_buttons” id=”4705936″]
I’ve been making variations on this chickpea salad for years – along with my mayo free potato salad, it’s my go-to recipe to take on picnics and bring to potlucks. It’s simple, healthy, and always a crowd pleaser. I can’t believe I’ve never posted it before! I recently told someone I’d send them a link, but sure enough… it didn’t exist. That needed problem obviously to be rectified immediately.
The salad has evolved over the years, but the base always remains the same – chickpeas, artichoke hearts, cucumber, red onion, and red bell pepper. This summer I’m really into adding tons of celery and and a hand full of kale. Together, they add so much crunch! I can’t get enough.
Chop everything up and pour on tons of dressing – I like to use Marzetti® Light Caesar Vinaigrette. The vinaigrette has all of the flavors of caesar dressing, but in a tangy red wine base. The flavor is perfect with the chickpeas and artichoke hearts. Unfortunately, it can be a little tricky to find but you can use this product locator to see if any stores in your area carry it (It’s shelf stable, but I usually find it on a display in the produce section) If you can’t find the vinaigrette in your local grocery stores, you can always opt for a creamier recipe with Marzetti® Simply Dressed® Caesar Dressing or Light Caesar.
Let the salad chill out in the fridge for an hour or so to let all of the flavors meld together. The chilling step is crucial – the salad completely transforms in that hour and goes from being kind of blah to being totally awesome.
That’s all there is to it! It’s so easy, but seriously delicious. I could eat a big late of it on it’s own and be perfectly happy, but it’s also great as a side dish.
1 hr, 15 Prep Time
1 hr, 15 Total Time
- 4 celery stalks
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/2 seedless cucumber
- 1/2 small red onion
- 4 kale leaves
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (8.5 ounces) artichoke heart quarters, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped herbs (I like a combination of oregano and mint)
- 3/4 cup Marzetti® Light Caesar Vinaigrette
- Cut the celery, pepper, cucumber, and onion into a 1/4 inch dice. You should end up with about 1 cup celery, 1 cup cucumber, and 1/4 cup onion.
- Discard the tough kale stems. Cut the kale into shreds, then roughly chop.
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour. Serve chilled.
Disclosure: I have been invited to participate in a Marzetti® ambassador program. This post is sponsored by Marzetti and product has been provided by them. The opinions and ideas expressed here are my own. Thank you for helping support the brands that keep me inspired in the kitchen.