Thai Turkey Lettuce Wraps are perfect for weeknights. They’re so full of flavor you’d never guess they only take a few minutes to make!
Last week, someone asked me what I predicted the big food trends of 2016 will be. I thought that was a really fun question! I usually see a ton of articles about it this time of year, but I haven’t seen many at all this time around.
My predictions for the top food trends of 2016 – based solely on my current cravings and the ingredients that have been inspiring me lately – are: 1) meatballs; 2) Thai flavors; 3) whole grains used in interesting ways; and 4) Nordic-inspired cuisine.
I’m drooling just thinking about it – I have a feeling that 2016 is going to be a very delicious year.
I’ve been making these Thai Turkey Lettuce Wraps a lot lately. They’re super easy, versatile, and jam-packed with flavor. They started as something that I just threw together on a busy weeknight, but I eventually realized I should probably photograph them and share them here. I know you’ll love them just as much as I do!
The first time I made these Thai lettuce wraps I used ground pork. The flavor was incredible, but they were a little greasy. Since then I’ve found that I prefer to use turkey which, to my surprise, has just as much flavor. I season them with Thai seasoning, fish sauce, and a little chili paste, then top them with cashews, scallions, and lime juice. If you like a little extra crunch, you can also add some chopped water chestnuts into the turkey.
This recipe comes together in practically no time, so it’s perfect for weeknights. If you’re looking to make things even easier on yourself, you can also prepare the filling on Sunday and then reheat it later in the week. It also freezes well for a convenient make-ahead meal (if you don’t have fresh lettuce, the filling is also delicious over rice.)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ onion chopped (about 1 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 4 ounces crimini mushrooms chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 cups cole slaw mix
- ½ bell pepper diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons Thai seasoning paste
- 1 tablespoons chili sauce optional
- ¼ cup water chestnuts optional
- 1 lime juiced
- Green leaf lettuce chopped cashews, and scallions for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan set over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add the ground turkey and cook until browned, breaking the meat up with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Add the mushrooms, cole slaw mix, bell pepper, fish sauce, Thai seasoning, chili sauce (if using) and water chestnuts (if using). Stir until combined. Cook 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are cooked through. Remove from heat and stir in the lime juice.
- Serve the turkey filling in lettuce leaves. Top with cashews and scallions, as desired.