This Sweet Potato Quinoa Chili is the perfect healthy comfort food! It’s naturally vegan and gluten-free, so it’s perfect for those with dietary restrictions, and it’s made with nourishing ingredients so you can feel good about eating it. It’s easy to make in the slow cooker, so you can come home to a hearty dinner that’s ready to eat.
I always get excited when chilly weather starts settling in, because that means it’s time for comforting and delicious chili! This sweet potato quinoa chili is one of my favorites because it’s packed with protein and nutrients but still feels indulgent. Plus, it’s perfect for serving a big crowd!
This easy recipe for Sweet Potato Quinoa Chili is made in your slow cooker in just three simple steps. All you need to do is prep your ingredients, dump them into the slow cooker and let it cook for a high-protein and high fiber chili that’s filling and satisfying with minimal effort!
It’s the perfect comfort meal to make on a cold day and makes amazing leftovers.
Even though this chili is simple to make, it is also nutrient-dense. It has a high amount of fiber coming from the beans and quinoa as well as protein. Plus all of the ingredients in this chili are naturally gluten-free, vegetarian, and vegan while still being satisfying and filling.
- VEGETARIAN AND GLUTEN-FREE – Sweet potato quinoa chili is the perfect warming comfort food for vegetarians, vegans, and anyone following a gluten-free lifestyle.
- SIMPLE INGREDIENTS – All of the ingredients can be found in your local grocery store making it an easy option.
- PREP AHEAD – Prep the ingredients the night before and place them in your slow cooker in the fridge so all you’ll need to do is remove it from the fridge and turn it on in the morning. Just dump and go!
Vegan Sweet Potato Chili Ingredients
- Sweet Potato – Adds beautiful orange color and some natural sweetness to the chili.
- Yellow Bell Pepper – Gives a fresh garden taste to the chili. Use red, orange, or green peppers if you can’t find yellow.
- Garlic & Onion – These two aromatic vegetables are classic in flavoring soups and chili recipes.
- Diced Tomatoes & Tomato Paste – Gives the chili a light tomato base and acidity.
- Vegetable Broth – A flavorful and nutrient-dense liquid that cooks into the quinoa and sweet potatoes for great flavor. You can substitute with chicken broth if needed.
- Black Beans – These high-protein beans add a hearty and satisfying addition to the chili.
- Quinoa – This grain bulks up the dish by soaking up all the flavors in the chili.
- Chili Spices & Seasonings – You’ll need chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, cayenne and salt as the flavor base.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder – Cocoa powder boosts the flavor of the chili adding a great depth of flavor. You can omit if desired.
How to Make Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Quinoa Chili
Step 1: Prep your ingredients. Peel and chop your sweet potato and dice your bell pepper and onion. Cut the garlic clove into a fine mince. Add chopped vegetables to the slow cooker.
Step 2: Add everything to the slow cooker. Along with the chopped vegetables, add beans, quinoa, broth, tomato along with spices and seasonings. Give everything a stir to combine fully.
Step 3: Slow cook the chili. Set the slow cooker to HIGH to cook for 4 hours or on LOW to cook for 7 to 8 hours. Chili is finished cooking when all of the liquid is absorbed by the quinoa and sweet potatoes are fork tender.
Serve hot in bowls with your favorite garnishes and sides.
- Make sure you rinse and drain the beans properly before adding to the slow cooker as adding any liquid from the can will change the texture of the chili.
- Add as little or as much of the cayenne pepper to make it the perfect level of spice for you.
- Feel free to change up the beans by adding red kidney beans, white beans or even lentils in place of the black beans.
- Some slow cookers run a higher temperature than others, so it may be best to cook on low if yours runs hotter than usual.
The Best Chili Toppings and Garnishes
The best way to serve this slow cooker sweet potato quinoa chili is by adding your favorite toppings. Feel free to add any of the following to garnish the final dish:
- Chopped green onions
- Sliced avocado
- Corn chips
- Fresh cilantro
- Sliced jalapeño
- Lime wedges for fresh lime juice
- Tortilla chips
- Pickled jalapeno
- Plant-based sour cream
- Freshly chopped tomatoes
- Sweet corn kernels
- Pico De Gallo
Common Questions About Sweet Potato Chili
Will I taste the cocoa powder in the chili?
Nope! You will only be using one tablespoon in this recipe which adds a layer of flavor that adds that bit of something extra special but doesn’t taste distinctly chocolatey at all.
Should I cook my onions, garlic, and pepper beforehand?
You can if you prefer, but it’s not necessary in this easy slow cooker dump and go chili. The onions and peppers will cook with everything else.
Do I need to peel my sweet potatoes?
This is a personal preference. If you like the peels on the sweet potato, you can certainly keep them on for extra nurtients!
Does this Sweet Potato Chili Keep Well?
Yes, and it tastes even better the next day. Cooled chili can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop.
To freeze, pour cooled chili into individual or large freezer-safe bags and lay flat in the freezer for 3-4 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating and serving.
Looking for more delicious chili recipes? I have tons!
- Slow Cooker Lentil and Pumpkin Chili
- Smoky and Sweet Turkey Chili
- Vegetarian Instant Pot Chili Mac
- White Chicken Chili
- Three Bean Crockpot Chili
- Beef and Bean Chili
If slow cookers are your jam, be sure to grab a copy of my Healthy Meal Prep Slow Cooker Cookbook!
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chili
- 1 sweet potato peeled and chopped (about 1 pound)
- 1 yellow bell pepper chopped
- 1 red onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cans black beans drained and rinsed
- ½ cup quinoa rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Add of the ingredients to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 7 to 8 hours.
- Spoon into bowls and garnish as desired.