Freshly squeezed clementine juice, muddled ginger, and rosemary-honey simple syrup add festive holiday flavor to these gorgeous gin cocktails.
When it comes to cocktails, I’m a gin girl.
That wasn’t always the case though – gin is definitely an acquired taste. The first time I tried it, I said it tasted like a Christmas tree. I didn’t mean that in a good way, but the taste definitely grew on me.
I was thinking about that the other day, and thought it was funny that despite that “Christmas tree” taste (which comes from the juniper in the gin), gin seems to fall off people’s radar once summer is over. I decided then and there that I was going to create a gin cocktail that’s perfect for winter.
These cocktails are definitely appropriate for the season.
The rosemary honey simple syrup I made to compliment the botanicals in the gin is to die for. The flavor is incredible and the taste of the honey lingers after each sip of the cocktail, balancing the tartness of the cranberry juice perfectly. Spicy-sweet ginger adds another layer of wintery flavor and adds additional interest to the cocktail, while club soda adds festive bubbles. There’s so much to love about this cocktail – and if you prefer a mocktail, you’ll be happy to know that it’s equally as delicious without the gin.
If you’re aren’t a fan of gin, these Christmas margaritas might be more your style.
I served these gin cocktails in my new BarLuxe Hudson Collection glasses. Can you believe they’re plastic?! I can’t get over how clear they are, or how solid they feel when I hold them. They’re made with Tritan™ plastic, which is BPA-free and they won’t warp or crack in the dishwasher. Plus they have a neat groove in the bottom that makes them really comfortable to hold (and prevents water from pooling up on the bottoms when they’re in the dishwasher.) I’m really impressed with them. They’d be great for entertaining, or just for klutzes like me who are always dropping dishes (or who are always leaving them out when the dogs can knock them over).
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup water
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 4 thin slices ginger
- ½ cup freshly squeezed clementine juice from about 6 clementines
- ½ cup 100% cranberry juice
- ½ cup gin
- 1 cup club soda
- 1 lime cut into 4 wedges
- rosemary to garnish
- Combine the honey and water in a saucepan set over medium heat. Cook until the honey dissolves, then reduce heat to low. Bruise the rosemary with the back of a heavy knife, then add to the pot.
- Cook 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool completely; discard rosemary.
- To prepare the cocktails, muddle the ginger in the bottom of a cocktail shaker. Fill the shaker with ice and add the two juices and 2 ounces of the rosemary-honey syrup (you'll have some left over). Shake well, until chilled. Stir in the gin. Strain into 4 ice-filled glasses. Top with club soda. Add one lime wedge to each drink; garnish with a rosemary sprig.