Big, bold gingerbread thumbprint cookies filled with chewy, salted caramel. Pour yourself a big glass of milk and enjoy!
I’ve been a little cookie-happy this Christmas. Between the Cinnamon Chipotle Crinkles, Maple-Walnut Butter Cookies and now these Salted Caramel Gingerbread Thumbprints… let’s just say I could use a vegetable or two in my life right about now. This is my last cookie for the season though – promise!
These gingerbread cookies are soft and chewy, with a big punch of molasses. No wimpy gingerbread, here. The centers are filled with caramel and a pinch of flaky salt. They’re sticky and sweet and over the top and awesome. The crinkles and butter cookies that I shares earlier this month are great with a cup of tea or cocoa, but these gingerbread thumbprints cry out for a big, cold glass of milk.
Gingerbread Caramel Thumbprint Cookies
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 egg
- 3 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 18 b]soft caramel candies[/b], cut in half (I use [Werther's chewy caramels )
- Kosher salt, for sprinkling
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Add the molasses, ginger and egg; mix well. Sift in the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt. Press dough into a thick, flat disk and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- Heat oven to 350ºF and line a cookie sheet with parchment or a silicon baking mat. Shape the dough into 1-inch balls and arrange on your prepared baking sheet. Use your thumb to make a small indentation in each ball; place a caramel candy into each indentation. Sprinkle with kosher salt. Bake 8-10 minutes, or until the edges begin to brown and the cookies look soft but set. Transfer to a rack and let cool.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 1357kcal Calories from fat 536|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 60g||92%|
|Saturated Fat 36g||180%|
|Dietary Fiber 15g||60%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
I am not a certified nutritionist. Nutrition information calculated using myfitnesspal is provided as a courtesy, but will vary depending on the specific brands of ingredients you use. Information provided on this site is not a substitute for professional advice by certified health professionals; please consult with your doctor regarding specific health needs.