Big, bold gingerbread thumbprint cookies filled with chewy, salted caramel. Pour yourself a big glass of milk and enjoy!
I’ve been a little cookie-happy this Christmas. Between the Cinnamon Chipotle Crinkles, Maple-Walnut Butter Cookies and now these Salted Caramel Gingerbread Thumbprints… let’s just say I could use a vegetable or two in my life right about now. This is my last cookie for the season though – promise!
These gingerbread cookies are soft and chewy, with a big punch of molasses. No wimpy gingerbread, here. The centers are filled with caramel and a pinch of flaky salt. They’re sticky and sweet and over the top and awesome. The crinkles and butter cookies that I shares earlier this month are great with a cup of tea or cocoa, but these gingerbread thumbprints cry out for a big, cold glass of milk.
- ¾ cup butter softened
- ¾ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ½ cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 egg
- 3 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 18 b]soft caramel candies cut in half (I use [Werther's chewy caramels)
- Kosher salt for sprinkling
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Add the molasses, ginger and egg; mix well. Sift in the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt. Press dough into a thick, flat disk and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- Heat oven to 350ºF and line a cookie sheet with parchment or a silicon baking mat. Shape the dough into 1-inch balls and arrange on your prepared baking sheet. Use your thumb to make a small indentation in each ball; place a caramel candy into each indentation. Sprinkle with kosher salt. Bake 8-10 minutes, or until the edges begin to brown and the cookies look soft but set. Transfer to a rack and let cool.
8 thoughts on “Caramel Gingerbread Thumbprints”
This is my kind of cookie! Love that beautiful caramel!
G’day! These look terrific! YUM! Wish I could have one now!
Caramel + gingerbread + cookies = love
they look yummy! all about a healthier cookie!
Hi Lauren! These look so good, and with whole wheat flour? Wow, pinned for safe keeping! ~ Melissa
Pouring my glass of milk right now! Loverly.
These are classic Christmas flavors at their finest! I love gingerbread but I love the caramel twist even more!
I love that you combined gingerbread and salted caramel here… two of my faves!