Slushy blackberry margaritas with a hint of basil bring a little summertime flavor to the coldest winter days. I created this recipe for Old El Paso. You can find a great selection of game day drinks on their website. Thank you for supporting the brands that keep me inspired in the kitchen.
Raise your hand if you’ve had enough of this ridiculous weather. This has been the coldest winter I remember… ever. Our pipes froze twice and every time I leave the house I put on so many layers that I can barely move. I’d give just about anything to go back to the time before I ever heard the phrase “polar vortex.” I’m starting to get cranky. I could definitely use a drink – preferably one that reminds me of summer.
So, let’s crank up the heat and make some margaritas! I created this recipe last summer to go along with some of the recipes I developed for Old El Paso (like the vegetable taquitos that they’re pictured with), but thanks to frozen blackberries, you can make these slushy treats any time of year. They have just the right amount of sweetness and they go great with spicy foods, so if you’re having a party this weekend they’d be a perfect addition to your “Big Game” lineup.
(Margaritas are my favorite, but if you’re not big on tequila you can also make these with rum for a daiquiri-like drink. Or leave the alcohol out entirely for a fun slushy.)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh basil, torn into large pieces
- 1 cup frozen blackberries, defrosted
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup tequila
- 4 cups ice
- Combine sugar, water, and bail in a large saucepan over medium heat. Simmer 5 minutes, or until sugar dissolves and basil wilts (liquid will be clear). Let stand 15 minutes; discard basil.
- Add sugar syrup, blackberries, and orange juice to a blender. Process until smooth. Strain mixture through a fine mesh strainer placed over a pitcher; discard seeds. Add the liquid back to the blender, along with tequila and ice. Blend on high until drink is smooth and slushy.
Amount Per Serving Calories 139Total Fat 0.2gFiber 1.9gProtein 0.6g