Ultra creamy beet hummus with walnuts and feta takes just 5 minutes to make in your blender. Give it a try – you’ll love it!
Beets and I have been having a moment lately. Ever since I made that roast beet and citrus salad a few weeks ago, I haven’t been able to get enough of their earthy sweetness.
There’s a restaurant near us that makes a beet hummus appetizer that I’m pretty much obsessed with. I can’t go there and not order it. Since it’s the kind of place that changes their menu every few months, I knew I had to recreate it at home.
My version is definitely a winner – I might actually like it a teeny tiny bit better than theirs. I might have shed a few tears of joy the first time I tasted it.
How to make beet hummus:
For this beet hummus, you only need a few ingredients: chickpeas, beets, feta, walnuts, lemon juice, olive oil and honey. The ingredients work together to make a dip that’s earthy, sweet, salty, and insanely creamy.
Roast beets give the hummus a deeper flavor, but if you don’t feel like messing with them you can totally use precooked beets. The steamed ones from the produce section are great, but I’ve also used canned beets with a lot of success.
Add everything to your blender or food processor and blend everything together with a little water to thin it out. I use my Vitamix, and I swear it makes my hummus extra smooth.
Pour the hummus into a bowl, drizzle it with a little extra honey and feta if you’re feeling sassy, and dig in! You’re going to love it.
What to eat it with? A spoon works just fine, for starters. I’d by lying if I told you I’ve never stood in the kitchen shoveling this hummus into my mouth. But if you want to be a little more civilized, you can eat it on flatbread, crackers, or even cucumber rounds. You can also use it as a sand
wich spread (it’s amazing with turkey on a hearty grain bread) or dollop it onto a salad.
Give it a try and let me know your favorite way to eat it!
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed
- 2 roast beets, sliced (or 1 15 ounce can sliced beets, drained)
- 1/4 cup walnut halves
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup water
- Additional feta and honey for topping, if desired
- Add the chickpeas, beets, walnuts, feta, honey, lemon juice, olive oil, and 1/3 cup water to a blender.
- Turn the blender on and gradually increase the speed to high, adding additional water as needed. Blend on high 1 minute, or until creamy.
- Pour the hummus into a serving dish. Drizzle with honey and top with additional feta, if desired. Serve at room temperature.
Amount Per Serving Calories 127Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 6mgSodium 187mgFiber 4gSugar 8gProtein 5g