It’s not much of a secret around here that I’m pretty obsessed with baked taquitos. Over the past few years I’ve made a few versions, filled with everything from buffalo chicken to farm-fresh veggies. I’ve been meaning to make a breakfast version for a while, but I never got around to it – until now.
It seems like out of nowhere the mornings are cold again, and I’ve found myself looking for a warm breakfast instead of my usual smoothie. Combine that with the fact that September is National Breakfast Month and, well, how I could I not make breakfast taquitos?
This recipe makes servings than I usually go for, but it’s great because the freeze really well. Even better, they taste best after they’ve cooled off a little – which means I can bake them while I get dressed, wrap them up in foil, and eat them once I get to the office.
The filling options for these baked breakfast taquitos are limitless, but I was inspired by a Mediterranean omelet that I noticed on the menu of one of my favorite brunch spots recently. I started by browning a whole roll of Jones Dairy Farm all natural pork sausage. To the sausage, I added sautéed red onion, bell peppers, baby spinach, and soft scrambled eggs. Pesto, sundried tomatoes, and feta add tons of tangy flavor that goes perfectly with the sausage.
I tried these with both flour and corn tortillas, they were both great, but Shawn and I agreed that flour was best since it didn’t overpower the flavor of the filling. If you prefer to make them with corn tortillas, heat the tortillas in a hot, dry pan for a few seconds to make them more pliable and help prevent them from breaking.
- 1 roll 12 ounces Jones Dairy Farm all natural pork sausage, thawed
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper finely chopped
- 3 cups spinach chopped
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes chopped
- 4 ounces crumbled feta
- 12 eggs
- 2 tablespoons pesto
- 16 8- inch flour tortillas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Heat oven to 450ºF.
- Crumble the sausage into a large pan set over medium heat. Cook until browned and cooked through – 8-10 minutes. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and et drain on a plate lined with paper towels. Discard any grease that has accumulated in the bottom of the pan.
- Return the pan to the stove and add the onion; cook 3 minutes. Add the pepper and cook another 3 minutes. Transfer the pepper and onion to a bowl; mix in the spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, and feta.
- Whisk together the eggs and pesto. Scramble over medium heat until just set – about 5 minutes. Stir the vegetables and sausage into the eggs.
- Cut the tortillas in half. Spoon a heaping tablespoon of filling along the cut side of each tortilla; roll tightly and place seam-side down on a baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling. Lightly rush the tops of the taquitos with oil.
- Bake 10 minutes. Turn over and bake another 5 minutes.
I created this recipe for my client, Jones Dairy Farm. Thank you for supporting the products that keep me inspired in the kitchen!