The days are getting warmer and the sun is setting later – before you know it, soup season will be over! While I’ve had my fill of creamy chowders and stews, I’m not quite ready to say goodbye to soup yet.
Luckily, this spring vegetable soup with pesto is perfect for the warmer weather. It’s light and brothy, with tons of fresh vegetable (like zucchini and green beans) that finally seem right again. Follow the recipe as written, or improvise using whatever fresh bits you have left in the fridge. Whatever you do, don’t forget the fresh pesto and pancetta, which give this soup it’s unique flavor.
Spring Vegetable Soup with Pesto
Pesto and fresh vegetables make this hearty soup perfect for a rainy spring night.
- 2 ounces Pancetta, diced
- 2 small Onions, diced
- 8 cups Water
- 1 large Carrot, cut into coins
- 1 large Potato, diced
- 1 can Small White Beans, drained
- 1 cup Fresh Green Beans, trimmed
- 1 small Zucchini, diced
- 1/2 cup Elbow Pasta
- 1/2 cup loosely packed Basil
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 ounce Parmesan Cheese, freshly grated
- 1 Tablespoon Pine Nuts
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Add pancetta to a large soup pot. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until fat begins to render. Add onions; cook until just softened, 3-5 minutes. Add water, carrot, potato, and beans. Simmer over low heat until potatoes are soft, about 20 minutes. Add the green beans and pasta; simmer until the pasta is tender, 30-35 minutes.
- While the soup cooks, make the pesto: Using a chef's knife or food processor, chop the basil, garlic, parmesan, and pine nuts until a smooth paste forms. Transfer to a bowl and drizzle in the olive oil.
- Stir the pesto into the soup. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let rest 5 minutes before serving.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 324 Calories from fat 256|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 28||43%|
|Saturated Fat 6||30%|
|Dietary Fiber 2||8%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g||80g|