The recipe is totally delicious. The pretzels have that ballpark vendor “crisp on the outside, fluffy on the inside” thing going for them and, well, can you really ever go wrong with melted cheese? I didn’t think so. There’s mustard tucked inside there too. Yum!
In fact, they’re so delicious that I’m really glad I made them in single-serving form. The big loaf you see there? Way too easy to keep going back for another slice. And another. And another. Not that that’s the worst thing in the world, since it’s healthy and all. But still. (Oh did I forget to mention that they’re whole wheat? Because they are! And only 7 Weight Watchers Points!)
If you don’t believe me, go ahead and try them out for yourself. But don’t forget to vote for me. I could really use a massage. (There’s a comment about me wishing it was my shoulders being kneaded instead of the pretzel dough, but I’m too tired to make it coherently.) Come back before March 7 and leave a comment letting me know you voted and I’ll enter you for a chance to win one bottle each of Saucy Mama Tarragon Lemon Mustard, Saucy Mama Smoky Garlic Mustard and Saucy Mama Dijon. (The Tarragon Lemon is fantastic in this recipe!)
Ham and Cheese Stuffed Pretzel Pockets
A cross between a soft pretzel and a grilled ham and cheese sandwich, these pretzel pockets are serious crowd-pleasers. Leftovers also make a great grab-and-go lunch – simply reheat in a toaster oven. Vital wheat gluten keeps these pretzels light and fluffy on the inside, without sacrificing their crisp crust. Find it in your grocer's baking aisle.
- 1 cup Warm Water
- 1 (1/4-ounce) envelope active dry Yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
- 1-1/4 cups All Purpose Flour
- 2-1/2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 tablespoons Vital Wheat Gluten
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 4 tablespoons Saucy Mama Tarragon-Lemon or Dijon
- 1/2 pound Jarlsberg Light, or other reduced-fat Swiss cheese, shredded
- 1/4 pound Baked Ham, cut into thin strips
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 cup very hot Water
- 1 Egg White
- Coarse Salt , for sprinkling
- Place the warm water and honey in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. Sprinkle the yeast on top. Let rest 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sift together the flours, gluten, and 1 teaspoon salt. Add the flour mixture to the mixer and mix on a low setting to combine. Increase the speed to medium and mix the dough for 6 minutes, or until it becomes very smooth. For the dough into a ball and place it in a mixing bowl sprayed with cooking spray. Cover and let rest in a warm part of your kitchen for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 415*F. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Divide the dough into 8 balls. Working one at a time, roll each ball into a 6-inch circle. Spread with mustard, then top with ham and cheese. Fold the dough over to form a pocket around the fillings. Press along the edges to seal them.
- Combine the baking powder and hot water. Brush over the tops of the pretzel pockets. Let rest for 5 minutes. Brush the tops of the pretzel pockets with egg white and sprinkle with coarse salt. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the tops are deep, golden brown.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 355kcal Calories from fat 95|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 11g||17%|
|Saturated Fat 6g||30%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||20%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|