Big, bold gingerbread thumbprint cookies filled with chewy, salted caramel. Pour yourself a big glass of milk and enjoy!
I’ve been a little cookie-happy this Christmas. Between the Cinnamon Chipotle Crinkles, Maple-Walnut Butter Cookies and now these Salted Caramel Gingerbread Thumbprints… let’s just say I could use a vegetable or two in my life right about now. This is my last cookie for the season though – promise!
These gingerbread cookies are soft and chewy, with a big punch of molasses. No wimpy gingerbread, here. The centers are filled with caramel and a pinch of flaky salt. They’re sticky and sweet and over the top and awesome. The crinkles and butter cookies that I shares earlier this month are great with a cup of tea or cocoa, but these gingerbread thumbprints cry out for a big, cold glass of milk.
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ½ cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 egg
- 3 cups Gold Medal® white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 18 soft caramel candies, cut in half
- Kosher salt, for sprinkling
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Add the molasses, ginger and egg; mix well. Sift in the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt. Press dough into a thick, flat disk and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- Heat oven to 350ºF and line a cookie sheet with parchment or a silicon baking mat. Shape the dough into 1-inch balls and arrange on your prepared baking sheet. Use your thumb to make a small indentation in each ball; place a caramel candy into each indentation. Sprinkle with kosher salt. Bake 8-10 minutes, or until the edges begin to brown and the cookies look soft but set. Transfer to a rack and let cool.
GIVEAWAY: I created these cookies for yet another exchange, this time hosted by Good Cook. I recently signed on a a “Kitchen Expert” with them, and I’m excited to play around with some of their products. You can get in on the fun too, with a change to win one of TWENTY FIVE “cookie kits” that includes a set of Sweet Creations by Good Cook mixing bowls, a high temp spatula, a flex cookie turner, a cookie dropper, and cookie cutters. Enter by voting for your favorite cookies on the Good Cook website. The contest is open from December 19-31.
As a thank you for participating in the exchange, I’ll also be receiving a kit. Unfortunately, it was held up in the mail so I wasn’t able to use it for these cookies. I’m really excited about those mixing bowls though…I can really use a new one!