Strawberry Cucumber Salad is a simple but tasty dish that only takes a few minutes to throw together. It’s perfect for summer gatherings or as part of a simple dinner on a busy weeknight.
The past few weeks have been insanely busy for me, so I haven’t had much time to cook at all. I’ve been eating a lot of takeout, but even though the variety of places that deliver these days amazes me it still gets boring after a few days and I start to crave something fresh. I figure most people find themselves in the same boat from time to time, so this week is all about super simple recipes that you can throw together in a matter of minutes, starting with this strawberry cucumber salad.
Strawberries are in season right now and they’re so full of flavor that it’s impossible to resist buying a carton every time I see them. (I wish I had time to make a batch of my favorite strawberry rhubarb shrubs!) For this salad, I combine them with cool, crisp Persian cucumbers, briny feta, and a zippy mint vinaigrette. It makes a great side dish along with grilled chicken or fish. This weekend, I paired it with spicy cilantro salmon filets that I picked up pre-seasoned at Whole Foods and some grilled asparagus – the whole meal came together in about 15 minutes. You can also serve this strawberry salad over baby spinach and top with with sliced almonds or pistachios for an entree salad.
I love these Persian cucumbers because they’re so darn cute, but you can always use a standard seedless cucumber instead if you cant find them. Since this salad is so simple, I also like to use a really high-quality feta – look for one that comes packaged in brine. It’ll have a slightly creamy texture and a delicious salty flavor.
- 4 Persian cucumbers or 1 English cucumber sliced into 1/4-to1/2-inch rounds
- 1 pint strawberries quartered
- ¼ cup crumbled feta
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- salt and pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the cucumbers, strawberries, and feta. Mix gently.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, and honey. Stir in the mint; season with salt and pepper. Pour half of the dressing over the salad and toss to coat.
- Serve the salad with the remaining dressing.