Next time you’re looking for a quick snack, give these spicy corn fritters a try. They only take 15 minutes to make and they’re packed with flavor. Pair them with an easy dairy free chipotle dip made with GO VEGGIE cream cheese.
I created this recipe for my client, GO VEGGIE. Thank you for supporting the brands that keep me inspired in the kitchen.
When it comes to casual snacking, fitters with dip are kind of my thing. There’s just something about them. Put out a platter of zucchini fritters with tzatziki, sweet potato fritters with curry sauce, or chipotle quinoa fritters, and it immediately feels like a party.
Our local grocery stores seem to be overflowing with sweet corn lately – they’re practically giving it away – so I decided to turn some of it into these spicy corn fritters. Then, I paired them with a three-ingredient chipotle dip that’s so delicious it will blow your mind.
Start to finish, these only take about 15 minutes to make, which means a spicy snack is never far away. (I made them twice over the weekend because i just can’t get enough!)
How to make spicy corn fritters
These spicy corn fritters are made with super simple ingredients: corn for sweetness, jalapeno peppers for heat (use more or less depending on how spicy you like things), roasted red peppers for a hint of smokey flavor, scallions, and cilantro. (I’ve made these with red onion, but I definitely prefer the milder flavor of scallions. The fritters don’t cook long enough to take the sharp edge off of the onion.)
You can use fresh corn cut right from the cob or frozen kernels, it’s up to you! If you opt for frozen corn, let it come to room temperature in a colander over the sink, then dry it off with a kitchen towel to help remove any excess moisture. That way, your corn fritters won’t be soggy.
Mix everything together in a large bowl and season it with chipotle powder and salt. Then add just enough egg and flour to bind everything together.
Next, shallow fry the fritters in a few teaspoons of vegetable oil or refined coconut oil (unrefined will burn) until they’re golden brown and crisp. I like to sprinkle them with a little coarse salt while they’re still piping hot. It gives them that extra something that really puts them over the top.
How to make three-ingredient chipotle dip
To make the dip, you only need three ingredients: GO VEGGIE vegan classic plain cream cheese (you know by now that this is my go to cream cheese – it’s dairy free, made with coconut, and has only 80 calories per serving!), a pepper and some sauce from a can of chipotles in adobo, and fresh lime juice. It’s so simple, but it’s amazing how much flavor this dip has. It’s cool and creamy from the cream cheese, with the perfect balance of heat and acid from the chipotles and lime juice.
The dip is so good you’ll be tempted to eat it by the spoonful. I wouldn’t advise that because it’s pretty spicy, but if you find yourself with extra dip on your hands it’s great stuffed into celery.
For the Corn Fritters
- 2 cups corn (thawed and drained, if frozen)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 roasted red pepper, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt, plus more for serving
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2-3 Tablespoons vegetable oil, for frying
- lime wedges, for serving
For the Chipotle Dip
- 1/2 cup GO VEGGIE! vegan classic plain cream cheese
- 1 chipotle pepper plus 1 teaspoon adobo
- 1 lime, juiced
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the corn, cilantro, scallion, red pepper, cilantro, chipotle powder and salt. Mix in the egg and flour until everything is combined and no dry flour remains.
- Heat the oil in a deep skillet set over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Spoon two tablespoons of batter into the oil; press gently with a spatula to flatten slightly. Cook 1 minute on each side, or until golden brown and cooked through. Remove from the pan and drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Sprinkle with salt. Repeat with remaining batter.
- To prepare the dip, mix the cream cheese, chipotle and adobo, and lime juice in a medium bowl. Season to taste with salt.
- Serve the corn fritters with chipotle dip and lime wedges.
Amount Per Serving Calories 229Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 75mgSodium 247mgFiber 2gSugar 5gProtein 6g