Grilled ham steaks topped with tart cherry-balsamic sauce make an easy, yet surprisingly elegant, dinner for a cozy night in. The sauce only has five ingredients and is ready in just 20 minutes!
For Valentine’s Day, we like to stay in and have a cozy meal at home. We save going out for another night when our favorite restaurants aren’t as crowded.
When I was brainstorming ideas for this year’s meal, my thoughts turned to ham steaks. Ham steak probably isn’t the first thing that comes to mind when you want a romantic meal, but I’ve never seen Shawn as excited as he gets when I pull a ham out of the oven. Pork is definitely the key to his heart.
I still have some of our Christmas ham in the freezer, so making a whole ham is out of the question. Thankfully, Jones Dairy Farm makes twin-pack ham steaks that are perfect for a dinner for two without tons of leftovers. (I buy them locally at Hannaford; you can use this store locator to find them near you!)
I did a test run of my recipe this weekend, and it was everything I hoped it would be. The cherry-balsamic sauce is based loosely on the raisin sauce that be both love at Easter, but it’s not as sweet. The vinegar gives it a nice acidity that pairs really well with the sweet pork. A pinch of five-spice powder gives the sauce a hint of earthiness. I served the ham steaks with mashed sweet potatoes and roast broccolini.
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup frozen cherries
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 pinch five-spice powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Jones Dairy Farm ham steaks from 10-ounce twin pack
- Combine the first 4 ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently to help the cherries break down. Cook for 10-15 minutes, or until reduced by half. Season with salt. Keep warm.
- Heat the olive oil in a grill pan. Cook the ham steaks, turning frequently, for 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Serve the ham steaks with cherry-balsamic sauce.
I created this recipe for my client, Jones Dairy Farm. I truly love their products, and I hope you do too. Thank you fo supporting the brands that keep me inspired in the kitchen and help make Healthy Delicious possible!