I feel like I’ve been posting an overabundance of desserts lately – that was definitely due to a very poorly planned editorial calendar for this month. I have a few more sweets planned for next week but I have some great savory recipes planned for early October. (And I promise, what I have in store for next week is definitely worth it!)
But for today, let’s eat soup. I took a quick facebook poll to see what people wanted me to post next and soup won by a landslide. I love that you all love soup as much as I do! This chicken tortilla soup is one of my new favorites. It’s rich, spicy, and super satisfying.
It’s also the easiest soup I’ve ever made. (Seriously, you might laugh when you see how easy it is compared to how delicious it is. I certainly did!) The trick is to use SALSA instead of tomatoes, onions, garlic, etc. It’s basically the best shortcut ever! The second trick is poaching the chicken right in the soup. It adds depth to the flavor of the store-bough broth and saves you from having to dirty a second pot. If your chicken is frozen, you don’t even need to worry about defrosting it first – just throw it right in.
(I haven’t mentioned it in a while, but I also write for the ShopRite Potluck blog. I originally created this recipe for them but since I love it so much I wanted to share it here too. Definitely check out the Potluck blog though too. There are some great recipes over there, including some that I don’t post here – like my chicken riggies and sauerbraten meatballs.)
Chicken Tortilla Soup
To make crispy tortillas for the top of your soup, cut 2 corn tortillas into thin strips, then cut in half crosswise. Heat 1 inch of vegetable oil in a heavy pot to 350*F. When the oil is hot, add the tortillas and cook for 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels. The tortillas will continue to crisp as they cool.
- 1-1/2 cups salsa
- 1 carton chicken stock
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 corn tortillas, diced
- 2 teaspoons chipotle chile powder
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 Tablespoon oregano
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Optional toppings: sliced avocado, fried tortilla strips, and cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- Combine first seven ingredients in a soup pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove the chicken breast and place it on a cutting board. Use two forks to pull it apart into shreds. Return it to the pot, along with the lime juice and cilantro. Cook 5 minutes.
- Divide between four bowls and top with avocado, tortilla strips, and cheese.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 232 Calories from fat 85|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 9||14%|
|Saturated Fat 1||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 10||40%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g||80g|