I hope everyone had a great Christmas and that Santa brought you everything you wanted! I got a gorgeous new camera bag and an induction burner (so I can boil water at lightening speed just like Kelly Ripa!) and I couldn’t be happier.
Anyway, I don’t know about you but I definitely are more than my fair share of cookies this month. I feel pretty gross and I could definitely use a few vegetables and a meal or two with actual nutritional value in my life. I had grand plans to do a post-holiday juice fast – I even bought all of the fruits and vegetables I’d need to make that happen – but we got hit with a blizzard and cold juice just didn’t sound very appetizing at all. This light, brothy soup ended up being just what I needed. Filled with random ingredients from the fridge and freezer, and finished with fresh lemon juice to give it some brightness, it was just about perfect.
As with most soups, this one is delicious the first night and even better left over. Make a double batch and have it for lunch all week!
Lemon Chicken Soup with Tortellini
I usually like my soups to be rich and tomato-y, but I kept this one light for a nice change of pace. Since the flavor of the broth is so prominent be sure to start with a flavorful one. I used homemade chicken stock from the freezer, and recommend that you do to. If you don't have any made, I like Swanson or Emeril's All-Natural stock, both of which have a rich chicken flavor. The amount of salt and pepper you need will vary based on what stock you use. Fresh pasta is great in soup, since it doesn't absorb as much liquid as dry pasta does. If you want to use dry or frozen tortellini instead of fresh, I recommend cooking it separately and adding it to the broth at the end.
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 Garlic Cloves, crushed
- 1 Leek, white and light green parts only, cut into half-moons
- 1 Carrot, chopped
- 6 cups good quality Chicken Stock, preferably homemade
- 2 1-inch cubes Parmesan Cheese
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 package (9 ounces) Fresh Cheese Tortellini
- 1/2 cup Frozen Peas
- 2 cups Baby Spinach
- 1 Lemon, juiced
- Heat oil in a large saucepan set over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute, or until fragrant. Add the leeks and the carrots; cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the broth and cheese; bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the tortellini; boil for 7-9 minutes or until cooked through. Reduce heat and stir in the peas and spinach; simmer until spinach is wilted. Stir in the lemon juice.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 442kcal Calories from fat 146|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 16g||25%|
|Saturated Fat 6g||30%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|