Do you have any memories that are so vivid it’s almost like looking at a photograph? One of my earliest memories – I couldn’t have been much older than three – is of me sitting on the stoop and eating buttered egg noodles and peas straight out of a huge mixing bowl. I remember thinking those noodles were one of the most delicious things I had ever tasted.
With the exception of that simple dish, I typically only serve egg noodles with really rich dishes, like Swedish meatballs, Mushroom Stroganoff, and Beef Bourguignon. When the opportunity to create a recipe using No Yolks® presented itself, I set out to make a recipe that was lighter and fresher. I ended up making the dish you see here – noodles mixed with slightly caramelized brussels sprouts, caraway seeds, and fresh lemon juice and topped with chicken cutlets – and I couldn’t be happier with the results. We gobbled it up and immediately started dreaming about the leftovers. I’m already planning to make it again!
If you like egg noodles and caraway, you should definitely make this recipe soon. I’m already planning to make it again – it’s really that good!
With the exception of one time that I bought a store brand (never again), I always buy No Yolks® noodles. They’re so good, and they always cook up smooth and firm (unlike those other ones that turned into a pile of mush). They’re also available in a new whole grain variety! I went use the original noodles for this recipe since the flavors are so delicate, but I can’t wait to try the whole grain noodles that next time I make a heartier dish.
Be sure to grab a coupon for $1 of 2 bags of No Yolks® noodles and check out their website for more recipes to inspire you. It’s filled with delicious recipes, from chicken soup to lamb stew to noodle kugel.
Noodles with Brussels Sprouts, Caraway, and Lemon
- 6 ounces No Yolks® Extra Broad Noodles
- 1 pound chicken cutlets
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon hot Hungarian paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lemon juiced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 3 cups sliced Brussels Sprouts about 20
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- Parsely for garnish optional
- Heat oven to 200ºF. Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil.
- While you wait for the water to boil, prepare the chicken. In a shallow dish, combine the flour, paprika, salt, and pepper. In a clean bowl, beat the egg with 1 tablespoon water. Dip the chicken into the egg, then dredge in flour.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large nonstick skillet set oven medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and cooked through. Sprinkle with half the lemon juice and transfer to the oven to keep warm.
- Add the noodles to the boiling water and cook for 10 minutes.
- While the noodles cook, heat the remaining oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook 2 minutes, or until softened. Add the shredded Brussels sprouts and cook 5 minutes, or until they begin to turn golden brown on the edges. Drain the noodles and add to the pan with the vegetables. Sprinkle with the remaining lemon juice and stir well to combine.
- Top the noodles with the chicken. Garnish with parsley, if desired.