Super simple chicken enchilada sweet potato noodles are packed full of flavor and can be on the table just 30 minutes!
This recipe for chicken enchilada sweet potato noodles has been a long time coming. I’ve been toying with the idea of an enchilada pasta for ages, but could never quite figure out the little details that would push the recipe from boring to something I could get excited about. Then it hit me – instead of pasta, use sweet potato noodles!
After being on my idea list for months, I finally headed into the kitchen to test it out. OMG you guys, this recipe is so good! It’s definitely one of my favorite meals ever, and is definitely something I can get excited about.
I love the balance of sweet and spicy flavors and interesting textures in this recipe for chicken enchilada sweet potato noodles – everything from the potatoes to the corn to the cilantro plays a role in hitting all the right flavor notes. Be sure not to skip the sprinkle of cotija cheese, fresh cilantro, and lime juice over the top. Together, they add a pop of saltiness and a dash of acidity that brighten the flavors and really make them pop!
In addition to making this recipe more interesting than a simple pasta dish, the sweet potato noodles make this dish more nutritious. They add tons of flavor – and I love how the sweet and spicy flavors pair together – as well as vitamins A and C and antioxidents.
I love the fun noodle shape that you get from cutting the “noodles” with a spiralizer (I have the Paderno 3-Blade Spiralizer but I’ve also heard great things about the Inspiralizer). If you don’t have one, you can cut the potato into 1/4-inch logs, or just dice it. It won’t look exactly the same, but it will still taste delicious.
- 1 large sweet potato (about 1 pound)
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup enchilada sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 ounce cotija cheese, crumbled
- 1 lime, juiced
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Using a spiralizer, cut the sweet potato into thick noodles. (Alternatively, use a knife to cut the sweet potato into 1/4-inch matchsticks.) Boil the sweet potato noodles for 3 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, toss the chicken in the flour. Season with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the beans, corn, and enchilada sauce. Bring to a simmer and let cook until the chicken is cooked through.
- Stir in the sweet potato noodles. Top with cilantro, cheese, and lime juice.
This post contains affiliate links.