Chewy Earl Grey Granola Bars are perfect for a lunchbox treat or for breakfast on the go!
I’m absolutely giddy over these granola bars! They’re soft and chewy with the most amazing bergamot-lemon-honey flavor.
They’re also whole grain, gluten free (as long as you use gluten free oats) and surprisingly filling.
In case that’s not enough, they’re also ridiculously easy to make! If you can make cookies, you can definitely make these granola bars. They take practically no effort and are a zillion times better than even my favorite store-bought bars. There’s pretty much no excuse not to make them.
In addition to granola, I used puffed millet in these bars. I love way it breaks up the dense oats and give a little lightness to the bars. It’s really cheap and surprisingly not difficult to find at all once you know where to look (not at eye level on the shelf). My grocery store keeps bags of it on the bottom shelf of the cereal aisle. It costs about $2 and lasts for practically forever.
I used coconut oil instead of butter to keep them chewy and also to give them some healthier fats. The white chocolate chips contain milk, but if you leave them out these granola bars would also be dairy free. I put them in because I can (and also because what’s a granola bar without a little chocolate?)
Lemon zest keeps their flavor bright and is delicious with the flavors of the tea and a generous pinch of sea salt keeps everything in balance.
For the neatest granola bars, make sure they're thoroughly chilled before slicing, Use a serrated bread knife and a gently sawing motion to cut them into bars. Once the bars are cut, they can be stored at room temperature.
30 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup puffed millet
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 bags earl grey tea, cut open
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1/4 cup white chocolate chips, divided
- 1 generous pinch sea salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup honey
- Heat oven to 350ºF. Line an 9x9 baking pan with parchment paper, letting the paper hang over the sides slightly.
- Pour the oats and millet onto a rimmed baking sheet. Spread evenly and bake 8-10 minutes, or until lightly toasted. Remove from the oven and stir in the coconut, chia seeds, tea, lemon zest, and salt; mix well. Stir in half the chocolate chips.
- Add the coconut oil, brown sugar, and honey to a saucepan set over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently, 2-3 minutes, or until melted. Pour over the oat mixture and stir until everything is evenly coated.
- Firmly press the granola into the prepared pan. Top with remaining white chocolate chips.
- Chill until set, about 2 hours in the refrigerator or 30 minutes in the freezer. Lift from the pan and remove the paper. Use a serrated knife to cut into 12 bars.