This post was sponsored by GO Veggie! Foods in partnership with Kitchen PLAY. Thank you for supporting the brands that keep me inspired in the kitchen.
These days, it seems like there’s always one person at every gathering with special dietary considerations: gluten free, egg free, lactose free, vegetarian, vegan … I’m tired of seeing them treated like second-class citizens, forced to eat only side dishes or maybe a limp piece of unseasoned tofu.
This cajun stuffed spaghetti squash is the perfect solution! Stuffed with black beans, red peppers, kale, and dairy-free cajun cream sauce , it’s a main dish that will make everyone happy. It’s vegan, dairy free, egg free, and – as long as you pay attention to the spices that you use – gluten free. It’s also so delicious that people without dietary restrictions will love it, too. Win-win.
So, how did I manage to pull off that delightfully creamy cream sauce without dairy? I used GO Veggie! Dairy Free, Vegan Cream Cheese in Chive & Garlic flavor! I have to admit I was a little hesitant when Kitchen PLAY asked me if I was interested in creating a recipe using this cream cheese alternative, but since I love a good kitchen challenge I decided to go for it. I’m glad that I did! This stuff isn’t just good for “vegan cream cheese” – it’s just plain good. I’d happily slather it all over my Saturday morning bagel.
It also melts really, really nicely. If you’ve ever tried to make a sauce with cream cheese before, you know that it has a tendency to curdle. Not this one! It just melted right down into a luxuriously smooth, creamy sauce. Shawn and I were both pretty impressed!
You don’t have to take my word for it though, because one of you can try it for yourself with this GO Veggie! prize pack, which includes free product coupons, a $50 Bed Bath and Beyond Gift Card, and GO Veggie! swag (open to US residents age 18+). Fun, right?!
Bonus! Are you inspired to create your own vegan holiday recipe using GO Veggie! Dairy Free, Vegan Cream Cheese? Visit their Facebook page and upload your original recipe to receive an embroidered GO Veggie! apron. GO Veggie! will also donate $10 to one pre-selected charity partners of your choosing. Help us spread the holiday cheer!
- 2 small spaghetti squash
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ small onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon concentrated tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 container GO Veggie! Dairy Free, Vegan Chive & Garlic Cream Cheese
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeds removed, chopped
- 1 cup chopped kale (about 2 leaves)
- Heat the oven to 350ºF. Place the squash on a baking sheet and roast for 30-40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan. Add the onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste, cajun seasoning, and paprika; cook 1-2 minutes. Add the vegetable stock and bring to a simmer. Stir in the cream cheese. Once the cheese is melted, add the beans, red bell pepper, and jalapeno. Reduce heat to low and let reduce by ¼, about 20 minutes. Stir in the kale.
- With a sharp chef’s knife, cut the squash in half crosswise. Discard the seeds. Use the tines of a fork to separate the flesh of the squash into spaghetti-like strings, leaving a 1-inch border around the edge. Remove the strings and stir into the sauce, then ladle the sauce into the center of each squash.
- Serve immediately.