[shareaholic app=”share_buttons” id=”4705936″]
I’m not typically a fan of spinach salads, but this one is different – and I’m obsessed! To make it, you sautée onions and the throw the spinach into the hot pan. The heat from the pan gently wilts the spinach just enough to soften it up a little and take some of the bitter edge off it. Then it all gets tossed with toasted pecans and crumbled goat cheese. The contrast between the sweet onions, crunchy pecans, and creamy goat cheese (which melts a little from the residual heat) is amazing!
The cheese and nuts also make the salad substantial enough that it can hold it’s own as a side dish – I’ve actually started planning meals around it – and it’s become my go-to item to accompany richer entree like the burgers I posted the other day. Last night, we ate it with grilled strip steak that I topped with a sprinkle of porcini sea salt. The dinner was absolutely delicious, and we didn’t miss not having a starch at all.
And to top it all off? It only take about 5 minutes to make.
Wilted Spinach Salad with Chevre & Pecans
- 2 teaspoons Olive Oil
- 1 Onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 bag (5 ounces) Baby Spinach
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2 ounce Pecans
- 2 ounces Goat Cheese (Chevre), crumbled
- [b]Cracked Black Pepper
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add the spinach and cook, tossing, for one minute or until slightly wilted. Transfer to a serving bowl and drizzle with balsamic.
- Add the pecans to the pan and set over high heat. Toast for one minute. Chop. Add nuts and cheese to the salad and toss to combine. Season with freshly cracked black pepper.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 220kcal Calories from fat 143|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 16g||25%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||25%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|