It’s getting to be the time of year when I plan to make soup at least once a week. In addition to being a quick weeknight meal, soup is an easy go-to for weekday lunches – something I’m especially grateful for when I’m trying to avoid holiday related weight gain.
I stumbled on this recipe for sweet potato soup on the Food + Wine website one afternoon and made it for dinner that night. I love potato soup, but it had never occurred to me to use sweet potatoes before! I skipped the fried cinnamon-sugar tortillas in the original recipe and paired the soup with cheese quesadillas for a warmly satisfying meal.
Creamy Sweet Potato and Chipotle Soup
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- ½ Onion chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated Ginger
- 2 Gala Apples peeled and chopped
- 1 Celery Rib chopped
- 2 large Sweet Potatoes peeled and chopped
- 4 cups Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- 2 cups Water
- 1 Chipotle Pepper from a can of Chipotles in Adobo, chopped
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- Heat the oil in a 3 quart soup pot set over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and ginger and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add the apples, celery, and sweet potatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, water and cinnamon stick and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer until vegetables are soft - about 30 minutes. Discard the cinnamon stick and stir in the chipotle pepper.
- Working in batches as needed, puree the soup in a blender until smooth. Return to pot to keep warm.