Smothered Chicken and Quinoa Skillet
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 can black beans drained
- 12 ounces chopped tomatoes in puree
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco® original red sauce
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar shredded
- Optional: Scallions for garnish
Heat the oil in a large, seep sided skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned – 7-8 minutes. Add the onion and cook until just softened – 4-5 minutes. Pour in the beans, tomatoes, water and Tabasco; bring to a boil. Stir in the quinoa; cook 15 minutes or until quinoa is cooked and most of the liquid has evaporated (it should look thick and saucy).
Spread an even layer of cheddar cheese over the top of the skillet. Melt cheese under the broiler for 5-8 minutes or until bubbly and beginning to brown. Garnish with scallions, if desired.
Calories: 495kcal | Protein: 42g | Fat: 15.8g | Fiber: 11g