Turkey, apples, and lactose free cheddar shreds tucked into puff pastry rolls make a delicious on-the-go snack or a fun lunchbox treat!
Late August is always a funny time for me when it comes to food. On one hand, I hope that summer stretches on for a few more weeks (or, you know, forever). On the other hand, there comes a point where I suddenly decide it’s time for fall flavors.
This year, that morning came last weekend.
Don’t worry – I’m not going full on pumpkin yet – but I’ve definitely been craving apples and pork chops and bran muffins. This month, GO VEGGIE asked me to create a back-to-school recipe, so my sudden craving for fall flavors was well-timed.
Apples and cheddar were always one of my favorite after-school snacks, so I decided to combine them both in these turkey, apple, cheddar rolls. I wrapped rotisserie turkey breast, diced apples, and GO VEGGIE’s lactose free cheddar shreds in puff pastry, cut it into rounds, seasoned them with salt, pepper, and crushed rosemary, and baked them until they were golden brown. The seasonings totally make these, so don’t skip the crushed rosemary, salt, and pepper sprinkled on top.
The rolls are delicious warm from the oven as an afternoon snack, but the leftovers also pack well and are a fun alternative to a lunchtime sandwich. We couldn’t stop eating them – they’re so good!
Since I used GO VEGGIE shreds, the turkey, apple, cheddar rolls are lactose free – YAY! The shreds tucked inside the rolls get melty and gooey, but the high baking temperature makes the pieces that stick out get crispy. We loved the contrasting textures!
GO VEGGIE’s cheddar shreds also have 55% more calcium, half the fat, and nearly as much protein as dairy cheese, so they’re a healthy choice that I can feel good about.
- 1 roll puff pastry
- 2 cups chopped cooked turkey breast (I use leftover rotissery turkey)
- 1 apple, core removed, chopped
- 1.5 cups GO VEGGIE Lactose Free Cheddar Shreds
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed rosemary
- Heat your oven to 425ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicon baking mat.
- Unroll the puff pastry on a cutting board. Scatter the turkey in an even layer over the pastry. Top with a layer of chopped apple and a layer of cheese.
- Starting at a short end, tightly roll the pastry into a log. Slice into 8 rounds and place on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and rosemary.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown and cooked through.
Amount Per Serving Calories 630Total Fat 52gCarbohydrates 7gProtein 35g