It’s no secret that I love Mexican food – especially when it’s full of fresh ingredients and bright, citrusy flavors – so it’s no wonder that these stacked enchiladas, drenched in fresh salsa verde, are right up my alley!
This recipe comes from Lynsey Lou, who I was paired up with for this month’s Secret Recipe Club. I’m completely smitten with Lynsey’s blog! Her photos are gorgeous and her recipes are all mouth-watering. I had a hard time picking what I wanted to make and almost went for the Bacon Avocado and Egg sandwiches , Lemon Balsamic Pasta Salad, or Caribbean Jerk Salmon Bowls but Shawn snapped me back to reality and asked me to make the enchiladas. (It shouldn’t have surprised me considering the “stacked enchilada incident of 2002” when I made him trade his insanely good restaurant special for my lackluster pasta primavera. I owe him, big time. Still.)
Anyway, I’m really glad that I made these because they’re fabulous! The fresh tomatillo salsa really gives them a ton of fresh flavor. They’re a little time consuming but not difficult at all and the recipe makes a ton. They’d be great for feeding a crowd, but I’ve been eating leftovers all week and I’m not sick of them yet. In fact, I’m a little sad that the pan is starting to get empty!
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 1.5 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 6 tomatillos, husks removed and quartered
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, quartered
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 lime, juiced
- 16 white corn tortillas
- 8 ounces Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1/s small red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 ounces feta, crumbled
- Heat oven to 400*F. Place chicken in a large stock pot and cover with water. Add salt and cover. Simmer 20-25 minutes, until cooked through. Allow chicken to cool slightly, then shred.
- Meanwhile, add the tomatillos, garlic, onion, jalapeno, 1/2 cup cilantro, vinegar, sugar, and lime juice to a food processor or blender. Process until smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Ladle 1/2 cup of salsa into the bottoms of two small baking pans. Place a single layer of tortillas (about 2) over the salsa. Top with 1/3 of the shredded chicken and Monterrey Jack Cheese. Top with 2 tablespoons salsa and cover with an another layer of tortillas. Repeat, creating a total of 4 tortilla layers in each pan. Top with remaining salsa and Monterrey Jack.
- Cover with foil and bake 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 10 minutes.
- Top with red onion, cilantro, and feta.
Adapted from Lynsey Loo.
Amount Per Serving Calories 305Total Fat 13gFiber 2.7gProtein 28.6g
Be sure to check out all the other great recipes tested by SRC members this month. And check out our new facebook page, Tried and True Recipes from Secret Recipe Club Members, where we’ve been sharing some of our favorites. We’d love it if you gave us a “like!”