Guess what? My chicken, bacon, and scallion potstickers earned me a spot the second round of the Saucy Mama “Sliced” recipe contest! So exciting!
For this round, we were asked to create an entrée using mustard and this week’s secret ingredient: beans. I had so many fun ideas for this, but in the end I decided that I really wanted to make something with a mustard cream sauce. I took a trip to the newly opened co-op and let the ingredients inspire me. It’s really easy to cook a good meal when you have ingredients as great as these, but the mustard cream sauce was truly the highlight of the dish. I was kind of tempted to lick the last of it off my plate.
I used the hatch chili mustard, since I thought it was stand up to the bold flavors of the bacon and kale better than the other varieties. I wasn’t sure what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised. The mustard as spicy as I feared it might be – it was flavorful, but not too assertive. It actually worked really nicely with the other ingredients and gave the final dish a creamy chowder type feel.
I loved all of the texture that this had! Velvety rich sauce, flaky fish, crisp bacon, creamy beans, and well… I don’t know how to describe the texture of kale, but it worked.
I thought it was pretty perfect – now I’m just keeping my fingers crossed that the Saucy Mamas agree and send me through to the final round!
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups sliced kale
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cod fillets
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 tablespoons Saucy Mama hatch chili mustard
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- Add the bacon to a large skillet set over medium heat. Cook until bacon crisps and fat renders, 5-7 minutes. Pour off all but about 1 tablespoon of fat. Return the pan to the heat and add the garlic and kale. Cook 2-3 minutes, or until kale begins to wilt. Add chicken stock and beans. Reduce heat to low and cook 15 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a second pan over medium heat. Season cod filets with chili powder, then add to oil. Cook 5 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Remove from pan; tent with foil to keep warm.
- Return pan to heat. Add mustard and cream. Whisk to combine. Pour in 1/4 cup chicken stock. Bring to a simmer and cook until sauce has reduced by about 2/3.
- Serve cod over the white bean and kale sautee. Spoon mustard sauce over the top.
Amount Per Serving Calories 351Total Fat 13gFiber 6.7gProtein 29.1g
Disclosure: I was provided with samples of mustard to use in the recipes that I develop for the “Sliced” contest but was not compensated in any other way.