I’m back with another super easy, yet delicious, recipe idea. These portobello mushrooms caps stuffed with GO VEGGIE cheese, spinach, and bacon are a great appetizer or light meal that’s ready in just 20 minutes.
The inspiration for these stuffed portobellos actually came from clams casino (plus mushrooms and cheese, minus clams) but they also remind me of creamy spinach dip. The grill adds a hint of smokey flavor that makes them extra delicious.
I love how they add an upscale feel to a casual barbecue, but they’re also easy enough to make as a simple weeknight dinner. Start by wilting baby spinach in a little water, then stir in crumbled bacon, lemon zest, red pepper flakes, and white cheddar slices. Finally, stir in some bread crumbs and stuff it all into the mushrooms. You can grill them right away, or make them a day before and keep them in the refrigerator.
GO VEGGIE’s white cheddar deli slices make a great binder in the stuffing for these mushrooms. I love the way it melts! They’re lactose and soy free and have tons of cheesy flavor with 40% less calories than dairy cheese. They can be a little hard to find since they’re new, but you can use their store locator to find them next to you. When you do, grab a few packs – they’re also great on homemade veggie burgers or melted over chicken and zucchini noodles.
- 10 ounces baby spinach
- ¼ cup water
- 6 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 lemon zested
- 6 GO VEGGIE White Cheddar deli slices
- 1 ½ cups unseasoned bread crumbs
- crushed red pepper flakes to taste
- 4 large portobello caps gills removed
- hot sauce for serving
- Add the spinach and water to a large pan set over medium heat. Cook 3-4 minutes, or until the spinach is wilted. Stir in the bacon and lemon zest.
- Add the cheese and cook, stirring constantly, until melted. Stir in the bread crumbs and season to taste with red pepper flakes.
- Stuff the filling into the portobello caps. Grill over high heat 4-5 minutes, or until the mushrooms are cooked through.
- Serve with hot sauce, to taste.
I created this recipe for my client, GO Veggie! Thank you for supporting the brands that keep me inspired in the kitchen.