Sweet and tangy barbecue chicken pizza made outside on the grill. You’ll love how easy the classic pizza shop flavor in this easy bbq chicken pizza recipe.Summer in Upstate New York doesn’t last long, so I like to soak up every ounce of it while it’s here. That means spending tons of time outside and not a lot of time holed up in the kitchen. Luckily, just about everything I’d want to make inside can also be cooked on the grill. Including pizza!
Since grills get super hot (mine is upwards of 600 degrees on high), they’re closer to pizza ovens than normal indoor ovens are. That means the pizza cooks really quickly (8 minutes, tops) and the crust gets charred and smokey.
If you don’t have a grill, or if it’s gross and rainy outside, you can always make this in the oven too, but the crust won’t be quite as delicious.
I had some extra chicken legs, so I grilled those with more sauce and used them as my main topping.
At the last minute, I decided to add a little cheddar cheese – it was delicious with the barbecue flavors! A sprinkle of fresh cilantro over the cooked pizza kept tasting light and fresh.
- 3/4 cup Barbecue Sauce
- 2 boneless, skinless Chicken Legs
- 12 ounces Pizza Dough
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Diced Red Onion
- 1 cup (total) shredded Cheddar, Mozzarella, and Provolone Cheese
- Chopped Cilantro
- Brush chicken legs with 1/4 cup barbecue sauce. Grill over high heat for 12-15 minutes or until their internal temperature reaches 165*F. Cool slightly, then finely chop the meat. Set aside.
- Divide the dough in half. Stretch each half into an oval about 1/4″ thick. Brush one side of each crust with olive oil. Place on grill, oiled side down, and cook until the crust is dry and grill lines form, about 3 minutes. Remove from grill and reduce heat to medium.
- Flip the crusts so the grilled side is up. spread with barbecue sauce. Top with cheeses, chicken, and onion. Return to grill and close the lid. Cook 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted and crust is cooked through. Remove from grill and sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
- Cut each pizza into 4 slices.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 550Total Fat 19gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 80mgSodium 1063mgCarbohydrates 62gFiber 2gSugar 20gProtein 31g