Crispy Kale and Beet Pizza is a great way to showcase the fall harvest. The cracker-like crust is yeast-free, so it’s ready in under 20 minutes!
We went to the Southern Vermont Garlic and Herb Festival a few weeks ago and, just like last year, I came home with tons of recipe inspiration. First on the agenda was recreating this amazing crispy kale and beet pizza.
Sweet, earthy beets are an unexpected pizza topping, and I kind of love it. The same goes for the kale. Pile it on – it will collapse under the heat of the oven and get nice and crispy. (If you like kale chips, you’ll love this pizza!) The vegetables sit atop a bed of creamy feta cheese and fresh garlic.
I used my favorite yeast-free pizza crust for this recipe – you might remember it from the wild mushroom pizza that I posted earlier this year. I love this crust! It’s crisp and cracker-like, with a complex flavor that reminds me a little bit of Chicago-style pizza crust. It’s my go-to for an easy weeknight meal, since it only takes a few minutes to make.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cups kale, roughly torn
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 steamed beets, diced
- crush red pepper flakes
- Heat oven to 475ºF. If you have a pizza stone or heavy cast iron skillet, place it in the oven now.
- Combine the flour, cornstarch, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Stir in the water and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Knead a few times, until the dough comes together. Split in half.
- On a floured surface, roll half of the dough into a 9-inch circle.
- Top the pizza crust with half the feta, garlic, and beets. Repeat with the rest of the dough. Toss the kale with the remaining tablespoon of oil, the divide between the two pizzas.
- Cook the pizzas on the preheated stone or skillet (if using) or on a heavy baking sheet for 9-11 minutes, or until the crust is cooked through and the kale is crisp. Sprinkle with crushed red pepper flakes.
- Let the pizzas cool for 2-3 minutes, then cut into 8 slices.
Look for peeled steamed beets in the produce section of your favorite grocery store.