If you’re looking for a healthy upgrade to a classic childhood favorite, give this recipe for Buffalo Chicken Sloppy Joes a try! They’re not-too-hot, have vegetables hidden inside, and are topped with creamy Ranch dip to offset the (mild) heat.
It’s no secret that I love Sabra hummus, but did you know they make Greek Yogurt Dips too? We tried them for the first time earlier this year and quickly became big fans. The first thing we noticed when we tasted the French Onion Greek Yogurt Dip was how much it reminded us of the dips we used to love when we were kids. Grab a chip (the greasier the better), dip it in, and wait for the memories to come flooding back.
When Sabra asked me to create a recipe using their Farmer’s Ranch Dip I immediately said yes – I already had a container of it in the fridge! It’s great as a dip for chips, pretzels, and veggies, stirred into mashed potatoes or polenta, or drizzled over tacos or chili. I decided to play on the nostalgia idea and recreate a childhood favorite: sloppy joes!
When was the last time you ate a sloppy joe?
Before last year, I hadn’t had one since I was a kid! It only took one bite to remember how much I used to love them. I definitely need more sloppy joes in my life.
Naturally, it didn’t take me long to decide I needed to come up with a recipe for Buffalo chicken sloppy joes! I just can’t resist coming up with spiced up versions of everyday foods.
These Buffalo chicken sloppy joes are AMAZING! Finely diced carrot, celery, and onion hidden in the ground chicken give a nod to traditional Buffalo wings while also providing additional nutrition. These sandwiches have plenty of Buffalo flavor, but a pinch of brown sugar in the sauce and a dollop of cool, creamy Ranch dip on top mellows out the heat.
Sabra’s Greek Yogurt Dip has the perfect consistency for topping off a sandwich like this. It’s nice and thick, so it doesn’t drip off and make a mess like dressing would. Plus, I can feel good about eating it – the dip is only 40 calories per serving, full of chunky vegetables, and made with real ingredients. And there’s no mayo (← super important to me. I remember sitting at the dining room table when I was a kid and scrutinizing the looong ingredient list of whatever dressing we happened to have to be sure it didn’t contain any mayo.)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion cut into 1/4" dice
- 2 carrots peeled and cut into 1/4" dice
- 2 celery ribs cut into 1/4" dice
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 pound ground chicken
- ¼ cup Buffalo-style hot sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 8 slider rolls or Italian dinner rolls split
- 8 Tablespoons Sabra® Farmhouse Ranch Greek Yogurt Dip
- In a medium pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery, and garlic. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Increase the heat to high and add the chicken. Cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until cooked through, 5-6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the hot sauce, water, tomato paste, brown sugar, chili powder, and cornstarch. Pour into the pan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook 5-6 minutes, stirring frequently, until the sauce is reduced.
- Divide the chicken among the rolls. Top each sandwich with 1 Tablespoon of Ranch dip.
I created this recipe for my client, Sabra. As a Sabra Tastemaker, I’ll be sharing recipes featuring their products throughout the year. As always, thank you for supporting the brands that keep me inspired in the kitchen!