Start your morning right with Blackberry Oat Muffins stuffed with a luscious lemon and cream cheese filling. They’re dairy free and made with whole wheat flour!
There must have been something in the air last weekend – every time I opened facebook or instagram, it seemed like someone was in the middle of baking muffins. Hopefully everyone is still in the mood for muffins this weekend, because you definitely won’t want to miss out on these blackberry oat muffins!
At first glance, they look like regular muffins but once you break them open you’ll see why they’re so special – they’re stuffed with an amazing lemon-cream cheese filling that’s hands-down once of the most delicious things I’ve eaten this year.
The cream cheese filling in these blackberry oat muffins is super easy to make, but it’s ridiculously good. When you mix GO Veggie! dairy free cream cheese with a little bit of sugar it gets light and fluffy, almost like whipped cream. Lemon zest gives it a super bright flavor. I kept taking tastes of the filling as I made it, and almost didn’t have enough left for my muffins! (I’m totally tempted to use it as a spread on my homemade crumpets, too.)
The filling maintains its texture inside the muffins, keeping them nice and moist. It ends up acting almost like a spread – there’s no need to add extra butter or cream cheese the tops of these, so they’re perfect as a grab-and-go breakfast.
In addition to being dairy free, GO Veggie! cream cheese has some other great health benefits: it’s cholesterol free and has four times more calcium than other non-dairy or dairy cream cheeses. I love that I don’t need to feel guilty about adding that extra bit of indulgence to my muffins.
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut or almond milk
- ½ cup old fashioned oats
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup blackberries fresh or frozen
For the filling:
- ½ cup GO Veggie! dairy free cream cheese
- 1 lemon zested
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Heat oven to 400ºF. Grease the bottoms of 12 muffin cups.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the coconut milk and oats. Stir well, then let rest 5 minutes. Mix in the sugar, oil, vanilla, and eggs.
- In a second mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined, being careful not to overmix. Stir in the blackberries.
- To make the filling, combine the cream cheese, lemon zest, and sugar. Stir until smooth.
- Fill each muffin cup about halfway (there will be some batter left over). Spoon 1 scant teaspoon of filling into the center of each muffin, pressing it down into the batter. Top with remaining batter, covering the cream cheese filling completely.
- Bake 15-18 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown and spring back gently when you touch them. Remove from oven and let cool completely before removing from the pan.
I created these blackberry oat muffins with cream cheese filling for my client, GO Veggie! Thank you for supporting the brands that keep me inspired in the kitchen.