Beans and Greens Pasta is my latest meal solution for busy weeknights. It’s easy, healthy, and on the table in less than 30 minutes!
It’s a new month, and apparently it’s also time for a new recipe theme. March was all about healthy snacks and it looks like April is shaping up to be all about fast and easy weeknight meals. I didn’t do it on purpose, but we could all use a few more of easy healthy recipes in our repertoire, right?
Most people I know – myself included – rely heavily on pasta as a weeknight staple. It’s fast and takes practically no thought, so it’s perfect for busy weeknights. But it can also get really boring. This beans and greens pasta is ready in the same amount of time that you’d need to make spaghetti and sauce, but it’s so much more interesting! The pasta is tossed with leafy greens (I love the sauté mixes that they sell at Whole Foods), white beans, a little bit of pancetta (you can also use bacon), and a garlicky white wine sauce. It has so much flavor you won’t believe how easy it is to make!
Pop some garlic bread in the oven while the pasta boils to round out the meal and pour yourself a glass of wine. You’ll have the bottle open anyway…
- 16 ounces mini shell shape pasta preferably high fiber or whole wheat
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 4 ounces diced pancetta
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves crushed and chopped
- 1 can cannellini beans navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 ounces mixed greens kale, chard etc, chopped
- ½ cup dry white wine
- Grated parmesan cheese for serving
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to the directions on the package. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet set over medium heat. Add the pancetta and cook for about 3 minutes, or until crispy. Add the onions and garlic and cook 5 minutes, or until soft. Stir in the beans and greens. Cover and cook 2-3 minutes, or until the greens are wilted. Stir in the wine and cook 5 minutes. Add the cooked pasta and season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, top with grated parmesan cheese.