Avocado BLT wedge salads are a quick and easy side dish that help balance your plate on busy summer nights.
This summer has been extremely busy – I’ve been putting in a lot of late nights at work, I’m taking a pottery class, and when I’m not running errands on the weekends all I want to do is relax. For one of the first times in my life, I feel like I truly don’t have time to cook. (You might have noticed the lack of new recipes around here lately)
Despite being low on time and energy, I’m trying to avoid falling into the rut of ordering in all the time. My freezer is stocked with easy meals, which definitely helps. I always try to add something fresh to my plate too. Luckily, it’s easy to fill my plate with fresh vegetables this time of year.
This avocado BLT wedge salad takes practically no effort to prepare, and it makes pretty much any meal feel special. In-season tomatoes and a delicious avocado dressing make it over-the-top delicious!
Lean Cuisine has been my favorite brand of go-to, easy meals for years. I always have them in my freezer to bring to the office for lunch, but they’re also great for dinner. Recently, they reintroduced themselves as a modern brand with a focus on women’s health. In addition to their old classics, they’ve added a ton of new chef-inspired and ethnic dishes to their repertoire. They also have variety of options including gluten free, organic, and meals emphasizing vegetables or protein.
The pasta versions are especially delicious, and I love that there’s built-in portion control. The butternut squash ravioli is one of my favorites – I can’t even count how many times I’ve eaten it over the years. It contains a full cup of vegetables, but for lunch, I love throwing in another hand full before I heat it up – there’s plenty of delicious cream sauce to go around. For dinners, you can get a little fancier and pair the meals with with a wedge salad like this one or with my strawberry and cucumber salad.
- 4 slices lean center cut bacon or turkey bacon
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/4 cup plain 0% Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2-3/4 cup water
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, chopped
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- Add the bacon to a pan set over medium high heat. Cook, turning frequently, until crisp – about 8 minutes. Let drain on a plate lined with a paper towel, then break into large crumbles. Set aside.
- Combine the avocado, yogurt, basil, chives, and lemon juice in blender until smooth. Thin with water.
- Cut the iceberg lettuce into quarters, forming 4 wedges and arrange on a platter. Pour 2 tablespoons of avocado dressing over the lettuce. Top with crumbles bacon and tomatoes. Season with cracked black pepper.
- Serve with additional dressing, if desired.
Amount Per Serving Calories 47Total Fat 3gCarbohydrates 1gProtein 3g
This recipe is in collaboration with Balance Your Plate. Thank you for supporting the products I love and use in my kitchen.