These tasty sliders are so much fun – perfect for game day, backyard parties, or just as something a little different for dinner. They have a great balance of sweet, spicy, and tangy flavors and are easy to make on a weeknight with ingredients from your pantry.
I don’t know about you, but chicken is my go-to weeknight dinner. It’s always on hand and it’s easy to keep the prep work down to a minimum.
That said, sometimes I get tired of the same old thing, especially when we’re hosting friends or family for game night.
These apple butter bbq chicken sliders are a great solution! They’re packed with flavor, super simple to make, and fun with all of the taste that people love about barbecue sauce and an Asian-inspired twist. You’ll never guess the secret ingredient in these pulled chicken sliders: Apple Butter! Combined with soy sauce, garlic, and five-spice seasoning, it makes an absolutely delicious Asian-inspired barbecue sauce.
Plus, they can be made in your slow cooker so there’s no last-minute cooking involved. The best part is they only take 5 minutes to put together before heading off to work or to run errands. You can even make them ahead of time and freeze them for later.
We hope you enjoy this family favorite as much as we do!
Ingredients for Apple Barbecue Sauce
To make this delicious and flavorful barbecue sauce, you’ll need a few simple ingredients:
- Apple Butter (try homemade apple butter, too!)
- Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- Five-Spice seasoning
To complete the recipe, you’ll also need chicken breasts (thighs work well too!) and slider rolls. I also like to garnish my sliders with pickled jalapenos and scallions. Yum!
How to make pulled chicken in the slow cooker
I absolutely love using my slow cooker to make pulled chicken. The moist cooking environment ensures the chicken doesn’t dry out and cooking the chicken right in the sauce gives it time to soak up all that amazing flavor.
Plus it’s so easy! Just a few minutes of prep in the morning means you’ll have a delicious dinner waiting for you when you get home from work. It really doesn’t get any better than that!
More delicious ways to use apple butter
- Apple Butter Granola Yogurt Parfaits
- One Pan Apple Butter Mac and Cheese
- Apple Butter Blondies
- Deep Dish Pizza with Brussels Sprouts, Apple Butter, and Bacon
- 1 cup Apple Butter
- ¼ small Onion minced
- 2 Tablespoons low sodium Soy Sauce
- 2 Garlic Cloves smashed
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
- ½ teaspoon Five Spice Seasoning
- 1 pound boneless skinless Chicken Breasts
- 8 Slider Rolls or small dinner rolls
- Pickled Jalapeños
- Green Onions chopped
- Combine the first six ingredients (through the five-spice seasoning) in your slow cooker. Mix well. Add the chicken breasts, turning so they are coated with the sauce.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours. Use the back of a spoon to gently shred the chicken. Stir so that the shredded chicken is evenly coated with the sauce.
- Set slow cooker to warm and let chicken stand for 15 minutes to soak up the sauce.
- Serve the pulled chicken on rolls. Top with pickled jalapenos and chopped green onions.