When I saw this soup osted over at cinnamon, spice & everything nice I knew I had to make it. If you like tortilla soup… MAKE THIS. Its so freaking good. It really easy, really filling, and really cheap. I almost didn’t make it tonight because I got tuck at work late (yes, again! I thought I was done with this!) but I’m so glad I did.
This soup is perfect for a rainy Spring night. I added some black beans to add some bulk and I used chipotle chili powder that gave it a nice smokiness. The “stuff” to broth ratio is pretty high, so next time I’ll add more broth. It was fine as is, but that way I’ll get more leftovers.
- 3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- Kosher salt and cracked pepper
- lime juice
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 T cumin
- 2 T chipotle chili powder
- 4 c fat free chicken broth
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, including juice
- 1/2 14.5 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 8 6″ corn tortillas (fat free if you can find them)
- 1/2 cup extra sharp cheddar, shredded
- lime slices, avocado, and sour cream for serving
Season chicken breasts with salt, pepper, and lime juice. Grill until cooked through. Set aside to cool, then shred.
Heat oil in a soup pot. Cook onion until it softens. Add garlic, cumin, and chili powder. Cook 1 minute, then add broth, tomatoes, chicken, beans, cilantro, and oregano. Dice 4 tortillas and throw those in the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat oven to 350. Cut remaining tortillas into strips. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Spritz the top of the tortillas with cooking spray, then bake 7 minutes, or until they become crispy.
Serve soup topped with crispy tortilla strips, diced avocado, a dallop of sour cream ,and a lime wedge.