These s’mores cookies are made with whole wheat flour and coconut oil – and they’re absolutely delicious!
Every afternoon around 3:00, I have a mug of tea and a small snack to satisfy my sweet tooth and tide me over until dinnertime. Lately, I’ve been snacking on a few of these subtly sweet whole wheat cookies studded with marshmallows and milk chocolate chips. They’re crispy on the edges and soft in the middle, with an amazing texture and slightly nutty flavor from whole wheat and graham flours.
I first used coconut oil in cookies a few months ago when I really wanted freshly baked cookies but didn’t feel like waiting for butter to soften. The coconut oil made the cookies bake up extra thick and tender, and I fell in love with them after one bite. I’ve been looking for the perfect coconut oil cookie to share here ever since, and these s’mores cookies are it!
Besides using coconut oil, I made these cookies healthier by using whole wheat pastry flour in place of all-purpose flour. The pastry flour gives these cookies a beautiful crumb and a texture that’s soft without being chewy. I personally think it has a milder flavor than regular whole wheat flour, too. Since these cookies were inspired by s’mores, I also added some graham flour. This flour has a coarser texture that gives the cookies a slightly grainy texture and subtle nutty/toasty flavor that makes them really unique.
A few tips:
The marshmallows add a nice pop of sweetness to these cookies, but they can be a pain to bake with since they can melt and burn onto your cookie sheet. For the best success, try to place the cookies onto the sheet in a way the limits the number of marshmallows on the bottom of the cookies (if there are whole marshmallows on the bottom side, you can pull them off and press them onto the tops of the cookies before baking.)
These cookies are a little weird because they taste best fully cooled – not warm from the oven. There’s just something about the warm whole wheat flour that I didn’t love. I was on the fence about the whole recipe… until they cooled down. Once the cookies were at room temperature, they were 100% addictive.
Whole Wheat S'mores Cookies
- 1 cup coconut oil (measured solid)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup graham flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- Heat your oven to 375ºF. Line a baking sheet with a silicon baking mat.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the coconut oil and sugars until blended. Add in the eggs one at a time and beat until mixed. Mix in the vanilla.
- In a second bowl, combine the flours, baking soda, and salt. Gradually mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients (the dough will be very thick). Mix in the chocolate chips and marshmallows.
- Chill the dough for 1 hour.
- Drop rounded tablespoons of the dough 2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the edges begin to brown. Let cool on the baking sheets for 1 minute, then cool completely on a rack.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 1306kcal Calories from fat 606|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 67g||103%|
|Saturated Fat 51g||255%|
|Dietary Fiber 9g||36%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|