Lasagna is sacred in our house. We make it every year for Christmas Eve, using Shawn’s “secret recipe.” It’s expensive and fattening and totally the kind of thing that you only make once a year. Until last week, it was also the only lasagna Shawn will touch – you should have seen the look on his face when I tried to use slices of eggplant instead of noodles for some of the layers a few years ago. I was scared that there might be mutiny.
But I finally did it! After years of trying, I made a healthier lasagna that not only met his approval, but also had us fighting over the leftovers.
This lasagna is so tall that you might have trouble fitting it into the pan – you can’t really tell from the photos, but mine had an entire layer the sat precariously above the rim! Extra lean ground turkey keeps things light, but seasoning it like sausage gives it tons of flavor. Mushrooms add to the meaty flavor and provide bulk, and spinach adds a touch of freshness without making the whole thing taste too vegetable-y. Pepperoni adds just a hint of spice and a subtle flavor – you might not be able to identify it, but your guests will wonder what the secret ingredient is.
Oh wait, did I say guests? Don’t invite any, because you’ll want this all to yourself. Especially since it’s even better the second day, after the flavors have had a chance to mingle.
And to make it even better? I ate 4 slices of this in one week and lost 3 pounds. Without feeling even for a second like I was eating diet food. And that is what this blog is all about.
- 1 pound extra-lean Ground Turkey
- ½ teaspoon Fennel Seeds
- ¼ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 teaspoons Olive Oil
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1 package (about 8 ounces) Crimini Mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cups Baby Spinach
- 4 cups Marinara Sauce (I like Casa Visco, get the 32 ounce jar)
- 4 ounces Turkey Pepperoni, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 12 no-boil Lasagna Noodles (from a 9-ounce box)
- 15 ounces Fat Free Ricotta
- 1 cup shredded Part Skim Mozzarella
- Fresh Basil
- Preheat oven to 375F. Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Mix the ground turkey, fennel, garlic powder, and salt and pepper. Add to a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring frequently until no longer pink. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add oil to the skillet. When the oil is hot, add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, until the onion is soft - about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook another 5 minutes. Add the spinach and cook, stirring, until wilted - about 2 minutes. Stir in the turkey.
- Spread 1 cup of sauce in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Cover with 4 lasagna noodles, overlapping as needed. Layer half of the filling on top of the noodle, then layer with half the ricotta. Top with 1 cup of sauce, half the pepperoni, and a sprinkle of red pepper flakes. Add another layer of noodles and repeat the filling, ricotta, and sauce layers. Top with remaining noodles and sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella and basil.
- Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake 20 minutes, or until noodles are soft and mozzarella has browned. Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes before slicing.
Approx. 390 calories, 12.5 grams fat, 33 grams carbohydrates, 4 grams fiber, 34 grams protein. 10 Points+.