This post is going to be short and sweet. I’m actually typing it in the car while we drive to DC for a wedding and it’s kind of hard to see the screen with the sun in my face! (That’s what I get for leaving this month’s Secret Recipe Club post until the last minute… again.)
This month, I was assigned to cook something from K&K Test Kitchen. The blog is the joint effort of 20-something Kelsey and her mother, Kim. Such a fun idea, right?! I love it. They have a lot of really great, easy to make recipes – and a series devoted to making 5 meals with less than $50! I picked this recipe for chicken with potatoes, bacon, and chard because it’s light and clean (did I mention that I’m in the wedding that I’m headed to? And that my dress takes uh… a little bit of a struggle to zip? Whoops!) but they also have a recipe for apricot scones that’s totally caling my name. I’ll be making those next week, for sure.
Anyway, this recipe was great and, as promised, super quick and easy. I adjusted it a little to eliminate the use of one pan (I hate doing dishes) so my version take a few minutes longer, but it’s still on the table in under 30 minutes.
Chicken with Potatoes, Bacon & Chard
Yields 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 pound assorted Fingerling Potatoes
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 sliced thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 4 6-oz. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 head green chard, chopped
- Heat the oven to 425*F. Slice the potatoes into very thin rounds (I used a mandoline set to 1/8″). Toss with olive oil and arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper and bake for 20 minutes, or until golden and crisp.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until it’s crispy. Remove the bacon from the pan, leaving the drippings behind. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, then add it to the pan. Cook for 6 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Remove from the pan and let rest. Add the shallot, mustard and vinegar to the pan. Cook for 2 minutes, or until the shallot is translucent and soft. Add the chard and cook, tossing it with the sauce, until it’s wilted – about 5 minutes.
- To serve, arrange a bed of potatoes and chard on each plate. Top with sliced chicken breast and crumbled bacon.
Be sure to visit all of the other Secret Recipe Club Posts!