Unfortunately, I wasn’t in the mood for sweets, so I searched for a savory recipe to make an settled on these blueberry-honey cornmeal muffins. We had some beautiful weather last week (with highs near the 80s!) and I made these muffins the cornerstone of a summertime-inspired meal of we ate them with barbecue chicken, grilled asparagus, and potato salad. I really loved the contrast of the slightly sweet muffins with the smokey, barbecue flavors.
I was really surprised by how easy they were to make! It only took about 5 minutes to mix up the batter and then 20 minutes in the oven. They also didn’t call for any fancy ingredients – with the exception of the blueberries, I already had everything that I needed to make them.
The muffins had a coarse, gritty texture (more like cornbread than a more delicate corn muffin). They were dry, but the blueberries added pockets of moisture. They’re fabulous drizzled with more honey or spread with butter.
Blueberry Honey Cornmeal Muffins
- 1/3 cup Olive Oil
- 1/3 cup + 2 Tablespoons Honey, divided
- 1/2 cup Skim Milk
- 2 Eggs
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 cup Yellow Cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1-1/2 cups Blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 370*F. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners and set aside.
- Combine the olive oil, 1/3 cup honey, milk, eggs, and sugar in a mixing bowl. Add the flour, cornmeal, and baking powder, and stir until fully incorporated. Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Divide the batter between the muffin cups and bake for 15 minutes. Drizzle the tops of the muffins with the remaining honey and bake an additional 10-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 221kcal Calories from fat 65|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 7g||11%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|